Current time: 01/05/2024, 17:42 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Finglands
RE: Finglands
(01/02/2014 23:35)Metroline1511 Wrote:  
(01/02/2014 23:31)Wright Eclipse Wrote:  could be they extend 17 To East Didsbury & 18 To Sale/Altrincham.If first wanted to step on stagecoaches toes more they could even extend there East Didsbury route into Stockport like Stagecoach 42

I thought of this, or even route 83 or 135 extended south, but was concerned that these routes could be a bit long. Mind you, it would make their branding First Greater Manchester appropriate!

i`d think the 17/18 makes more sense,As it targets one of stagecoach`s busiest (Wilmslow Rd) & Its newest (Manchester - Middleton) corridor all in 1,plus if they use 17 to East Dibsbury is competes directly against the Metrolink
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(01/02/2014 23:31)Wright Eclipse Wrote:  
(01/02/2014 23:20)Metroline1511 Wrote:  
(31/01/2014 15:31)Gillmoss 0324 Wrote:  Probably this was the best outcome as First sort of ensures some form of competition with Stagecoach on the Wilmslow Road corridor and the only other option Arriva wasn’t really interested adding Finglands to their Manchester operations strange given their substantial operations in Wythenshawe, Sale and Altricham and that they used to operate on Wilmslow Road in the 1990’s. It will be interesting to see how First promotes itself on Wilmslow Road. Will they brand/promote themselves specifically for the student market or will they merge some of their North Manchester/Oldham/Rochdale routes into cross city routes in partnership with TfGM like the 18 and use Finglands route network and extend these routes to Northenden, East Didsbury/Stockport or Sale/Altrincham? I also wonder whether JPT might be tempted to come on to the Wilmslow Road and will Stagecoach retaliate against First in some way?

The deal is win-win for EYMS as it enables them to cascade a fairly modern fleet of low floor vehicles that are common with the main East Yorkshire operation that will see off the last of their step entrance vehicles and Finglands Enviro 300’s would be very useful in beginning the replacement process for B10BLE’s and MAN’s which possibly still have a few years left in them but will need to be replaced at some point over the next few years.

Interesting times ahead.

I believe that EYMS arranged the deal so that they would retain the vehicles to replace older vehicles in their home fleet.

Re BIB1, and I predict in due course 50% of 18s being extended to East Didsbury, and the remaining 50% being renumbered 18a and extended to Sale/ Altrincham. This would lead to withdrawal of First route numbers 41 and 42.

Re BIB2, and it does not seem a coincidence that Stagecoach announce are about to compete with First on Edinburgh-Queensferry route 43 after the certainty of First competing on Wilmslow Road. This route does not tie in with First's networks in Livingston, Falkirk, East Lothian or Galashiels as such, and may eventually face withdrawal. Having 2 operators head out from Edinburgh towards Cramond (Stagecoach and Lothian Buses) seems sufficient anyway.
could be they extend 17 To East Didsbury & 18 To Sale/Altrincham.If first wanted to step on stagecoaches toes more they could even extend there East Didsbury route into Stockport like Stagecoach 42
Arriva already operate a service 18 in Sale which also goes to Altrincham but via Wythenshawe and Manchester Airport so this would only confuse passengers especially if the service followed Stagecoach's route along Washway Road. Arriva's originates at the Trafford Centre.
So, it seems that Finglands is now extinct, as First have brought in their own buses and ticketing. Long live our memories of Finglands!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)