Current time: 30/04/2024, 16:17 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Three Queens Visit
The Three Queens Visit
I thought that I would start this thread off as it will no doubt be a topic for discussion in the weeks to come.

On the Merseytravel website there is a general outline of what to expect during the visit (24-26 May). One piece of advice is that people should walk or cycle to the Pier Head as it is likely that public transport may be operating at maximum capacity. Further down the page, it advises that certain events will finish late and that people should leave early as the last buses/trains may well be unable to cope with demand.

The visit commemorates 175 years of the Cunard line and the eyes of the world will be on us and people will come from far and wide for this. Is this the best that Merseytravel can come up with?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: The Three Queens Visit
As such this will be like the giants event , where public transport was fully stretched , to the point it just couldnt cope , better to get the message out so far in advance and tell the truth , than just get the people in and then find there is no way home .

Its the brutal honest truth .
(25/03/2015 17:44)wirralbus Wrote:  As such this will be like the giants event , where public transport was fully stretched , to the point it just couldnt cope , better to get the message out so far in advance and tell the truth , than just get the people in and then find there is no way home .

Its not like this event is happening out of the blue, there has been plenty of time to plan for it. Obviously there will always be problems, but it comes across as if they aren't even going to attempt to mitigate anything!
(25/03/2015 18:01)Enviro400 Wrote:  Its not like this event is happening out of the blue, there has been plenty of time to plan for it. Obviously there will always be problems, but it comes across as if they aren't even going to attempt to mitigate anything!

I'm sure there will be plans,special routes for buses, various access points for the underground etc etc.
But what else do you suggest?
As much stock as possible will be in use on Merseyrail and I'm sure will be put where it's expected to be busiest. What else are they meant to do?
Might be extra buses,there will be extra staff.
Short of getting extra buses,trains and staff out of a magical pit there's nothing else that can be done
One thing which should be better on this occaision is that Northern's routes out to Wigan/Manchester will have 4 car 319's on them as opposed to 2 car diesels. Also quite a few Arriva corridors now have Deckers whoch obviously boosts capacity.
(25/03/2015 17:44)wirralbus Wrote:  As such this will be like the giants event , where public transport was fully stretched , to the point it just couldnt cope , better to get the message out so far in advance and tell the truth , than just get the people in and then find there is no way home .

And the brutal, honest truth is what? That one of the largest ITAs outside of London is incapable of planning for a major three-day tourist event that will bring an enormous number of people - and money - into the area?

Arriva and Stagecoach have huge national resources and assets and I find it truly incredible that these two major bus operators haven't met with Merseytravel and formed a strategy to deal with this situation. They seem willing and able to do this when The Open and The Grand National are taking place in this area. On Millennium Eve an extensive FREE night bus-service was provided that ran throughout till 5am

As regard the rail services, Merseyrail trialled late-night trains to outlying stations in the lead-up to last Christmas. Is there any reason why this can't be repeated?

This three-day visit coincides with the schools' half-term holiday. IF the weather is kind, it is likely that the number of visitors will dwarf those when the Giants came to town a few years ago. As I posted earlier, this visit will attract national and global attention so let's hope the world "shambles" isn't used in any of the media reports.
(25/03/2015 19:38)ls1911 Wrote:  I'm sure there will be plans,special routes for buses, various access points for the underground etc etc.
As much stock as possible will be in use on Merseyrail and I'm sure will be put where it's expected to be busiest. What else are they meant to do?
Short of getting extra buses,trains and staff out of a magical pit there's nothing else that can be done

Be aware Moorfields will not be able to be used for Wirral Line passengers due to station refurbishment .

Who planned that , im not really sure James street will be able to cope with the influx .
(25/03/2015 19:38)ls1911 Wrote:  I'm sure there will be plans,special routes for buses, various access points for the underground etc etc.

They should run services past their usual end point- ie: another hour or so later, rather than simply dismissing responsibility by telling people to leave earlier.
Think Northern and Tpe will be stretched as well it's Magic weekend also

Bring Back Arriva Skelmersdale
I hope Lime Street dont act the same way as they did when the Giant Event was on making people stand in stupid Lines in the car park like Cattle...

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)