Current time: 04/05/2024, 20:15 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Queen Square Bus Station
RE: Queen Square Bus Station
(13/02/2015 20:55)wirralbus Wrote:  Would depend on where in Victoria Street as layover as there is a lot of vehicles fighting for the same space for loading and unloading not just buses , some businesses would be adversely affected by having a bus sitting in front of them and nobody being able to see there business through a bus .

A few services already use the far end of Victoria Street as a layover - which is where I suggested by saying services could loop back around into St Johns Lane

I think services 6, 7 and 8/9 could be relocated from Stand 3 to run via St Johns Lane as they wouldn't be too far from the bus station - then perhaps the 15 could be moved to operate from Stand 3 alongside the 10B. Stands 5 and 6 could then be used for any of the 12/13 and 18 services at peak times
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(13/02/2015 21:18)SL64 JDZ (4593) Wrote:  A few services already use the far end of Victoria Street as a layover - which is where I suggested by saying services could loop back around into St Johns Lane

I think services 6, 7 and 8/9 could be relocated from Stand 3 to run via St Johns Lane as they wouldn't be too far from the bus station - then perhaps the 15 could be moved to operate from Stand 3 alongside the 10B. Stands 5 and 6 could then be used for any of the 12/13 and 18 services at peak times

At the moment St John's Lane is used as a layover for the Southport services (X8, 47, 300). Also, it is one of the few bus lanes that has been re-instated recently as a lot of unsuspecting, out-of-pocket motorists will testify. I can't see Joe allowing a permanent bus stop to be sited there.
(13/02/2015 21:45)Barney Wrote:  At the moment St John's Lane is used as a layover for the Southport services (X8, 47, 300). Also, it is one of the few bus lanes that has been re-instated recently as a lot of unsuspecting, out-of-pocket motorists will testify. I can't see Joe allowing a permanent bus stop to be sited there.

Fair point - I had forgotten that was one of the few bus lanes re-instated recently!
Whilst they do the Bus station up it will be a very busy road , just imagine the chaos now if they had not built that cut out from Victoria Street into St Johns Lane , with all the buses trying to go round the Mersey Tunnel Roundabout alongside all the traffic trying to get into the Mersey Tunnel.

Think they have tried to go for July as a lot of the services start cutting down for there Summer Timetables.
(13/02/2015 20:55)wirralbus Wrote:  Would depend on where in Victoria Street as layover as there is a lot of vehicles fighting for the same space for loading and unloading not just buses , some businesses would be adversely affected by having a bus sitting in front of them and nobody being able to see there business through a bus .

Who thought that Liverpool One was ever built in the right location on the far side of the shops instead of at the near side of the shops nearest most of Liverpool City Centre.

Liverpool One Bus Station in a way has caused Queen Square and all the surrounding roads to become clogged up as they are now just looping round the city back to Queen Square and really not wanting to go anywhere near Liverpool One Bus Station.

Cant wait to see the gridlock when this work starts its going to be something to witness something that we aint seen since the remember it The Big Dig prior to 2008
What work starting?

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
The resurfacing of the Carriageways in Queen Square Bus Station and some work on the crossing in the centre of the bus station.
(13/02/2015 16:17)SL64 JDZ (4593) Wrote:  I don't think any routes could realistically move from Queen Square as that's where the majority of services that serve it pick up their passengers. I agree with the suggestion that an extra lane on the uphill side of the station would be the best solution - especially after the traffic lights by Burger King

I think a good solution to remodel Queen Square would be a layout similar to Piccadilly bus station. It covers a small area but it works really well in my opinion

Before Queen Square was built every city bus service went via the old Hood Street Gyratory,including all the South Liverpool services that now use Hanover Street,if you move the rest of the South Liverpool services to start at Liverpool One and run via that route passengers would get used to the idea, just as people have on the other routes. There is no room for extra lanes at Queen Square,the council and developers greed back in the 90s sacrificed the space that was really needed here for it to be a totally effective Bus Station, leaving us with the Sir Thomas St shambles, and the congestion caused by the two badly sighted multi storey car parks not helping congestion in the area and far too many changes of traffic lights from Lime St in and out of Queen Square.The only spare land in the Queen Square area is the taxi rank next to Williamson Square which could site a bus turning loop and stops or layover space but of course the city`s cabbies won`t give up this facility so that`s also a non starter.
(13/02/2015 23:11)wirralbus Wrote:  The resurfacing of the Carriageways in Queen Square Bus Station and some work on the crossing in the centre of the bus station.
Thank you for that.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
I tend to agree with what's been said about Queen Square as sometimes buses can be queued back up London Road awaiting to get into Queen Square adding about 15mins to journey times and sometimes by the time some services have done the loop round Liverpool they have to run out of service after picking up on their outward journies
People have already got used to the south Liverpool routes (75/76/80/82/86 etc) going from Liverpool One and using stops in Hanover Street,Great Charlotte Street and Lime Street.

Maybe by other services that head up Brownlow Hill (6/7/14/61/79/79C/79D and also the 78) to Liverpool One could mean a re-working of bus stops in Queen Square.

People would get used to it in time as they have done with other services.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)