Current time: 19/04/2024, 23:15 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Christmas and New Year Services: The Reckoning
Christmas and New Year Services: The Reckoning
Several people have posted on various threads how well or badly the bus services have been so far this festive period around this region and beyond. I thought that it might be useful to set up a new thread for this purpose so that such opinions and views are on one thread.

The point I would like to make concerns Arriva's operation in north Liverpool. Again, as with last year, Green Lane provided the vehicles which were all single deck (Pulsars) and again they did not seem to cope with demand on the 52A and 55. The two I saw about midday heading towards the city both had standing loads by the time they reached Tescos in Litherland. I cannot comment on how things developed later in the day. Next year when Green Lane has its new deckers perhaps these will be used.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Christmas and New Year Services: The Reckoning
(27/12/2014 12:46)Barney Wrote:  Several people have posted on various threads how well or badly the bus services have been so far this festive period around this region and beyond. I thought that it might be useful to set up a new thread for this purpose so that such opinions and views are on one thread.

The point I would like to make concerns Arriva's operation in north Liverpool. Again, as with last year, Green Lane provided the vehicles which were all single deck (Pulsars) and again they did not seem to cope with demand on the 52A and 55. The two I saw about midday heading towards the city both had standing loads by the time they reached Tescos in Litherland. I cannot comment on how things developed later in the day. Next year when Green Lane has its new deckers perhaps these will be used.

It's very hit and miss for allocaters as every year is different. No one really knows how many people would turn out and actually use the services.
I think a full size single decker is a good 'hedge your bets' vehicle. Anything smaller would have met with criticism had it been busy and a double decker would have been 'too big' and a waste of resources had turn out been low.

What I will say is count yourself lucky buses ran at all! Sadly yesterday I had to part with £40 for a taxi to and from work as the bus service I normally use dosen't serve a shopping centre worthy of Boxing Day sale shoppers didn't operate - dispite me buying a weekly ticket on Christmas Eve Angry
Thanks for that but I suspect that you come from Manchester area and I think that you perhaps missed my point. At the moment Green Lane and St Helens are the only two Arriva Merseyside depots without deckers. This will be rectified in the new year when the 10 road is converted with a big influx of new deckers. At the moment, Bootle already has about 25 deckers that could have been used.

As regards the extortionate taxi fare that you had to pay, you have my every sympathy. Believe it or not, prior to deregulation there was virtually a full service over the festive period.
i don't think services run for long enough last bus on 47 to liverpool was 6.10 . i basically got 2 hours to spend with relatives becoz of the early finish of services lack of trains deosn't help situation neither.
Some buses on Boxing Day is better than some areas can muster , if the new arrangements for the buses do come to fruition i would be interested to see how long extra on Boxing Day , Merseytravel would run the services , not forgetting someone has to pay the drivers to drive , will the fares be commercial or just enough to break even is the next question to be answered .
Well if that happens drivers get paid double time and a day in lieu so at arriva we was on £23 an hour and a lieu day but could cash the leiu day in which would then give u treble time so would make it £34.50 an hour so i couldnt see merseytravel wanting to pay that and still keep low fares.
Stagecoach Gillmoss drivers were on £33 an hour. Stagecoach Chester used 4 buses for their services and the drivers were on £26 an hour.
(28/12/2014 18:20)Shaun821 Wrote:  Stagecoach Gillmoss drivers were on £33 an hour. Stagecoach Chester used 4 buses for their services and the drivers were on £26 an hour.

How come the difference in wage rates.
(28/12/2014 18:20)Shaun821 Wrote:  Stagecoach Gillmoss drivers were on £33 an hour. Stagecoach Chester used 4 buses for their services and the drivers were on £26 an hour.
The gillmoss drivers i was speaking to who i know was telling me they only got double time and day in lieu.
(28/12/2014 20:18)motormayhem1 Wrote:  The gillmoss drivers i was speaking to who i know was telling me they only got double time and day in lieu.

That is double time for a bank holiday. Gillmoss Sunday/Bank Holiday rate is roughly £17 an hour. As for the differnce in pay, something to do with agreements already in place between management and the unions and also management refusing to pay Chester amd Rock Ferry the rate Gillmoss are on.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)