Current time: 30/04/2024, 20:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Route sharing
Route sharing
With the imminent arrival of 38 new deckers for the 10 road, on another thread, it has been suggested that, as the whole service will comprise of brand new Enviro 400s, it would make sense for SH and GL to share these routes thus allowing earlier and later departures for this lengthy route. This makes sense to me but what do other people think?

Prior to deregulation I can think of a few long routes that were operated by two depots on Merseyside (500, GM and Speke, Southport services, LV and SP). Personally, I think that the Southport services (47, 300) should be shared between BT and SP. Merseybus depots also shared routes when they operated cross-city services (19, 79, 82, 86) but in recent times each depot has had responsibility for its own specific routes.

I would be interested to learn if shared (local) routes exist elsewhere in the UK.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Route sharing
The Coastliner 700 (Brighton - Portsmouth) is shared between three depots in Worthing, Chichester and Portsmouth respectively.

(20/12/2014 13:12)Barney Wrote:  With the imminent arrival of 38 new deckers for the 10 road, on another thread, it has been suggested that, as the whole service will comprise of brand new Enviro 400s, it would make sense for SH and GL to share these routes thus allowing earlier and later departures for this lengthy route. This makes sense to me but what do other people think?

Prior to deregulation I can think of a few long routes that were operated by two depots on Merseyside (500, GM and Speke, Southport services, LV and SP). Personally, I think that the Southport services (47, 300) should be shared between BT and SP. Merseybus depots also shared routes when they operated cross-city services (19, 79, 82, 86) but in recent times each depot has had responsibility for its own specific routes.

I would be interested to learn if shared (local) routes exist elsewhere in the UK.
Don't remember 19 getting shared but 20 certainly was
(20/12/2014 13:30)MX59 JZJ Wrote:  The Coastliner 700 (Brighton - Portsmouth) is shared between three depots in Worthing, Chichester and Portsmouth respectively.

Thanks for that, but I was thinking of routes within the same city or conurbation. Are there any shared routes in Manchester, Birmingham etc.?
Certainly think the 10/10A should be shared as the last buses out of St Helens are quite early for such a busy corridor (2307 on the 10 and 2255 on the 10A). I'm surprised Stagecoach don't run some earlier/later journeys to/from the Liverpool end as the timetable is obviously devised from a St Helens base perspective.
(20/12/2014 14:10)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Certainly think the 10/10A should be shared as the last buses out of St Helens are quite early for such a busy corridor (2307 on the 10 and 2255 on the 10A). I'm surprised Stagecoach don't run some earlier/later journeys to/from the Liverpool end as the timetable is obviously devised from a St Helens base perspective.

I was just sharing the very same thoughts onto the St Helens Arriva Thread and didn't realise it was on here as well.
(20/12/2014 15:07)wirralbus Wrote:  I was just sharing the very same thoughts onto the St Helens Arriva Thread and didn't realise it was on here as well.

I think it was your comment in that thread that led me to create this one. Every credit to you. I wonder if the fact that each depot has to be financially independent and accountable prevents route sharing?
(20/12/2014 15:37)Barney Wrote:  I think it was your comment in that thread that led me to create this one. Every credit to you. I wonder if the fact that each depot has to be financially independent and accountable prevents route sharing?

Not necessarily. Here in the North East one of the major trunk routes (X1/X2 linking Middlesbrough, Durham and Newcastle) is shared between Stockton and Durham depots.
The 219 has fully transferred to AZ as far as i know and the 216 was never involved with HE, again as far as I know. The 346 is split between First pioneer & Stagecoach, but whether its competition or why its so I'm not sure.
Considering the fact the drivers lay over for about 15 minutes at Ashton its not exactly intensive competition on the 346 is it?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)