Current time: 01/05/2024, 20:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West and Wales 2014-15 orders
RE: Arriva North West and Wales 2014-15 orders
Anybody know what the difference in fuel consumption is between these new Enviro 400s and the Birkenhead hybrids? I guess the main reason for the Enviro 400s is the price, but it would be nice to see more hybrids on Merseyside's roads, particularly in Liverpool.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Most hybrids still seem to be only used if they can get some sort of funding for them , if they cant get funding then they still seem to diesel variant .

The London market is a lot different though.
(04/03/2015 19:37)gka472l Wrote:  From coach & bus buyer, mentions Arriva North West is to receive 62 Enviro400's (I'm assuming 4584-4645 is the 62 vehicles?), with a further 47 later in the year. Could the Pulsar become an endangered species in Liverpool?

http://www.busandcoachbuyer.com/arrivas-2015-orders/

This is quite a turnaround, after Merseyside had appeared to be the Pulsar single-deck capital of Britain!

(04/03/2015 20:09)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  This would be quite a turn-up for the books, as Merseyside has almost been the Pulsar single-deck capital of Britain!

Up to now there are 53 confirmed Enviro400s for the North West later on this year - 35 for Green Lane, 12 for Speke and 6 for Birkenhead. I think most if not all of these will be replacing existing stock which will either move to other depots or be withdrawn. I think it's possible that more Pulsars could be displaced next year order with the possibility that the 14 could be receiving double deckers next year

It's great to see another large batch of double deckers for the North West. I hope next year a large batch is ordered for Green Lane for the 14 and 18 and Speke for the 80

At this rate, by next Spring Arriva could have more double-deckers than single-deckers in Liverpool!

I understand that all these Enviro 400s will be of the traditional design rather than MMCs.
(07/03/2015 09:56)Metroline1511 Wrote:  This is quite a turnaround, after Merseyside had appeared to be the Pulsar single-deck capital of Britain!

At this rate, by next Spring Arriva could have more double-deckers than single-deckers in Liverpool!

I understand that all these Enviro 400s will be of the traditional design rather than MMCs.

Pulsar is no longer available, apparently couldn't be made to Euro6 requirements.

HTH

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmc1947/
(07/03/2015 10:14)gka472l Wrote:  Pulsar is no longer available, apparently couldn't be made to Euro6 requirements.

HTH

That's the best news I've heard all day!
(07/03/2015 10:14)gka472l Wrote:  Pulsar is no longer available, apparently couldn't be made to Euro6 requirements.

HTH
So this is the real reason for the switch back to decker introduction in urban areas

Cheers
Rob Day

Formerly
(08/03/2015 08:17)Penny Return Wrote:  So this is the real reason for the switch back to decker introduction in urban areas

It's the same reason it's an enviro 400 and not VDL Gemini DB300's.
The standard single decker for Arriva is the wrightbus streetlight max, which also seats 44 however.
Different upper management bring different things to the table , some like single deckers , some like double deckers , youll never get to know the real reasoning though why they went down one particular line .
(04/03/2015 21:40)Enviro400 Wrote:  Anybody know what the difference in fuel consumption is between these new Enviro 400s and the Birkenhead hybrids? I guess the main reason for the Enviro 400s is the price, but it would be nice to see more hybrids on Merseyside's roads, particularly in Liverpool.
Hybrids are only viable if there is some kind of additional funding available to make up the difference between a conventional diesel and a hybrid. The payback time for this additional cost if not subsidised by either the government or A N Other tendering body is around 15 years, and that's the reason why operators don't buy them without subsidy. The 'on cost' for a Micro Hybrid system in a StreetLite, while not saving as much fuel as a full hybrid, is paid for in fuel savings over around two years.

Volvo B5LHs are noted as being the most fuel-efficient hybrids bar the New Routemaster, but they also have a price tag to match.

It is also worth considering that as manufacturers incorporate things like Wright's Micro Hybrid (and other smart parasitic engine load management systems, which Optare and ADL no doubt have under development) and flywheels, to reduce fuel consumption, they are actually devaluing the attractiveness of their own full hybrid offerings as the fuel consumption gap between hybrid and conventional diesel is narrowed. Wrights are claiming 9mpg for the StreetDeck. That sounds a bit high, but I imagine it will be possible when they get a flywheel and full Micro Hybrid onto it.
Updated list:

11 Alexander Dennis Enviro200s (9.6 metre variant)
1xxx-1xxx for Rhyl depot (routes 35/36) (5) - thanks to Smithy29919 for this information
1xxx-1xxx for Wrexham depot (routes 3/4 and 32/33) (6) - thanks to LJ51 DDA for this information

109 Alexander Dennis Enviro400s (Euro V variant)
4584-4594 for Green Lane depot (route 10B) (11)
4595-4620 for St Helens depot (routes 10/10A) (26)
4621-4636 for Bootle depot (routes 52/52A) (16)
4637-4645 for Chester depot (route 10 - Sapphire) (9)
4646-4680 for Green Lane depot (routes 12/13 and 15) (35)
4681-4692 for Speke depot (route 75) (12)

6 unknown single deckers
????-???? for Birkenhead depot (route 487)

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)