Current time: 28/05/2024, 22:54 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseytravel - 30 Year Plan
RE: Merseytravel - 30 Year Plan
(31/08/2014 07:30)childwallblues Wrote:  Not a problem Wirralbus. There are plenty of three car 313s being made redundant in the next few years in London. They are old but are the same bodyshell as 507/508s, dual voltage, carry more passengers than a two car and are better than any Pacer.

I have only a passing interest in all things rail and was surprised to learn on the web yesterday that of all the rolling stock in the UK the 507/508s are the second oldest, the oldest being the 313s. Although the Merseyrail stock had a make-over in 2005 and is getting wrap-arounds to preserve them for a few more years, it is obvious that the units will not last more than a few more years.

No doubt the 30 Year Plan has been produced with the not unreasonable expectation that brand new - and additional - rolling stock will also be procured with the expansion and development of the Merseyrail network.

On a personal note, it shocked me when I realised that it is almost 36 years since I boarded 507001 at Seaforth station on its inaugural run whilst on my way to work. My impression of the unit was very positive, but little did I suspect that it would have a working life longer than the 502 class it was replacing.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Merseytravel - 30 Year Plan - Barney - 31/08/2014 10:02

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)