Current time: 16/04/2024, 13:25 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First v Stagecoach in Manchester
RE: First v Stagecoach in Manchester
1> As for the roadworks at Denton Island, I was in Hyde yesterday afternoon and 2 201s appeared going to Manchester at 15:15 obviously somehow delayed on route probably due to the roadworks at Denton or another reason

2> As for Inspector provision in Stockport whenever I've been there there's always been supervision there, infact Stockport has about 3 or more Inspectors there normally:

1 Citybound on A6 keeping watch on 192s
1 Merseysquare on A6 watching 192s toward Stepping Hill/Hazel Grove
1 Actually in and around Bus Station

3> As for Ashton Bus Station I think the reason why the Stagecoach Inspectors hang around either 330 stand or Butty Shop is due to the fact that they get good vision of the busy stands and from there they can be ideally seen by any of the drivers should they need help
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(27/08/2014 07:18)M60lad Wrote:  1> As for the roadworks at Denton Island, I was in Hyde yesterday afternoon and 2 201s appeared going to Manchester at 15:15 obviously somehow delayed on route probably due to the roadworks at Denton or another reason

2> As for Inspector provision in Stockport whenever I've been there there's always been supervision there, infact Stockport has about 3 or more Inspectors there normally:

1 Citybound on A6 keeping watch on 192s
1 Merseysquare on A6 watching 192s toward Stepping Hill/Hazel Grove
1 Actually in and around Bus Station

3> As for Ashton Bus Station I think the reason why the Stagecoach Inspectors hang around either 330 stand or Butty Shop is due to the fact that they get good vision of the busy stands and from there they can be ideally seen by any of the drivers should they need help

I must agree in Ashton they do tend to be on or near the busiest stand as that's where the frequent services run from but take last week when emergency roadworks on Hyde Road in Mottram causing real issues for 236/237's, there was an inspector on the stand in Ashton keeping frustrated waiting passengers informed. Something that dosen't seem to happen with First anymore!
(26/08/2014 15:45)Dentonian Wrote:  Just to make sure of historical accuracy; Manchester City Council banned cross-city services in Summer 1995, nine months or so before GMBS & GMN were privatised.
The policy was apparently 3 years in the making but was kept a secret from the public including the since banned Greater Manchester Transport Consultative Committee. I'm not quite sure in what way general quality has increased massively since then: Bus fares increasing well ahead of inflation; Plastic "urban90" bum perches replacing cushioned seats; off-peak running speeds in single figures - even before they are devastated by persistent roadworks
Regarding 'quality' I was thinking only in terms of far more modern fleets and low emission vehicles. However, the elimination until recently of cross city services means that people travelling into town have had artificial boundaries to cross. I remember a large number of cross city services including 57; 77; 95;96;62; 75 and those from NMGH to Chorlton etc all of which benefitted the travelling public. As the taboo had been shattered over the past year or so then, hopefully, the council will keep their noses out and leVe it to the professionals to come up with a proper network to benefit of all
Regarding 90s privatisation, both GMN and GMS were sold to their employees in 1994, and to First and Stagecoach respectively in 1996. I wonder whether Stagecoach taking over GMS prompted GMN to sell to First?

First certainly consider themselves here to stay on Wilmslow Road services, having increased and extended routes 41 and 42 and now upgraded them to double-deck.

Stagecoach could use their Middleton base bolstered by the JPT takeover to create more cross-city services. For example, routes 85 and 86 could extend north to Middleton and NMGH and replace routes 112 and 118.
(30/08/2014 19:19)Dentonian Wrote:  I think if there were to be any more cross-towns it would have to be joining up existing routes, rather than additional resources being thrown at a bus war. The latter would raise the ire of the City Council, cost both Operators a lot of money and (if past experience is anything to go by) lead to the Operators taking their "eye off the ball" elsewhere. The 86 joining up with the 112 might indeed be a possibility (I doubt the 118 justifies a 10 minute service), especially as it serves the new Birley Fields campus of MMU

My suggestions are indeed joining up existing routes. As it is, the only real competition between First and Stagecoach is along the Wilmslow Road and Swinton via Salford corridors.

It occurs to me though that, apart from ex-Finglands and a handful of other routes like the 53 and 88, the standard Manchester City operator is Stagecoach. Most First routes serving Manchester are inter-urban routes from Oldham, Rochdale, Bury and Bolton.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)