Current time: 18/04/2024, 18:28 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Destinations no longer displayed
RE: Destinations no longer displayed
(14/11/2014 11:56)Barney Wrote:  Very interesting map. The Northern Perimeter Road was built in sections as the housing estate was built. The first ten metres of the original country lane that existed prior can still be seen close to where the much-awaited Thornton by-pass is being built now. Incidentally, I stand corrected. The 53 went to Netherton Village and the 53A went to Netherton (Magdalene Square).

For our younger viewers that map also gives a clear indication as to how extensive bus services were prior to deregulation. Whether we ever get back to that level of service under the proposed re-regulation of bus services I doubt, but we may see some defunct destinations back on the blinds one day.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(14/11/2014 12:14)Barney Wrote:  For our younger viewers that map also gives a clear indication as to how extensive bus services were prior to deregulation. Whether we ever get back to that level of service under the proposed re-regulation of bus services I doubt, but we may see some defunct destinations back on the blinds one day.

No chance of that happening, whilst it may not be perfect but i'd rather keep the system we have now, PTE was losing a lot money in those days, plus i don't trust Fat Joe to run a bath never mind public transport. One benefit of d-reg has been the Cross River services, which still be going to Woodside rather than through the tunnel had d-reg not occurred.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(12/11/2014 13:44)DVG526 Wrote:  PANTYMWYN
LOGGERHEADS
LLANFERRES
CLEAVER HOSPITAL
CHESTER ZOO
GLENWOOD ROAD
BURTON

Cleaver Hospital is now the site of the Heswall Tesco, which I believe still gets a shoppers service on some days of the week.

Burton was an interesting terminus, as it required Lodekkas on the F15 to reverse at the T junction at Mudhouse Lane
(14/11/2014 16:33)MTL0201 Wrote:  No chance of that happening, whilst it may not be perfect but i'd rather keep the system we have now, PTE was losing a lot money in those days, plus i don't trust Fat Joe to run a bath never mind public transport. One benefit of d-reg has been the Cross River services, which still be going to Woodside rather than through the tunnel had d-reg not occurred.

When you say "PTE was losing a lot of money" I assume that you are referring to the funding that central government had provided for decades but Thatcher's Tory government decided was too generous for those up north. Of course now the only part of the UK where the current government is prepared to "lose a lot of money" is in London where Fat Boris can write blank cheques for his vanity projects. Also, I assume that you mean Mayor Joe Anderson when you are referring to "Fat Joe". It might surprise you to learn that he is NOT the chair of the Merseyside's ITA and would have little input into any re-regulated bus service in Merseyside.

I might be wrong but I suspect that you are not able to distinguish between personalities and policies. No doubt this post will be deleted as my previous two were. Goodnight.
Not sure either of these posts belong in this thread anyway
I've just seen a photograph on another thread of a new Enviro400 on the 10B displaying 'Victoria Street'. Has this destination ever been used in the past as I have no recollection of it? Was it ever used on old tram routes?
I remember the 7-Stoneycroft, 12C-Cantril Farm, 18C-Muirhead Ave. East, 74D-Dovecot and 99-Lower Lane... and also the 12 from New Brighton to POULTON LANCELYN! (I half expected to see knights on white charges when we arrived there...)

“Never run after a bus or a woman. There will always be another one.”

“A bus is a vehicle that runs twice as fast when you are after it as when you are in it”
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)