Current time: 03/05/2024, 17:45 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Destinations
Destinations
Just a quick one regarding LED destinations.

Scrolling or unscrolling to display the via rather than the standard unhelpful "SPEKE 82"

Let me know!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Destinations
Definitely think the old layout Speke had with scrolling LEDs for the via points was much more helpful than what they have now.

Oh Superman where are you now, when everything's gone wrong somehow, the men of steel, the men of power, are losing control by the hour.
4108 | 4120 | 4125 | 4127 | 507001 | 507006 | 507023 | 508111 | 508130
(29/06/2014 10:08)CX06 EBK Wrote:  Definitely think the old layout Speke had with scrolling LEDs for the via points was much more helpful than what they have now.

This whole issue of destinations has been rumbling on for ages. It was widely accepted that the old London system that was later adopted by GMPTE and MTL on its ex-London Titans using rollers blinds was the most clear, informative and useful for passengers. Since the introduction of electronic blinds things have, if you will excuse the pun, become blurred.

My understanding is that two years Arriva Merseyside adopted a single, static large display because it was about to become a legal requirement to comply with DDA legislation. For a brief period Stagecoach GM also adopted this static display. However, after only a few weeks it resorted to displaying scrolling intermediate points with a static final destination.

Personally, I think the display that Stagecoach GM uses now scrolls a little too fast and has too much information but it is a lot better than Arriva Merseyside's presentation.

Another point I would like to add is to question why it is difficult to read electronic displays in this country on sunny days. This is never an issue when I am abroad, even in Spain in the middle of August.
Arriva Birkenhead adopted the "Liverpool 437" layout after the Palatines started to leave (which originally had two lines of text with alternating via points below), and after consultation with disability groups and myself and a few other organisations we all agreed that the final destination looked the best (with a far less change of missing the bus) rather than two lines with scrolling text below.

busambassador on Instagram, Flickr & TikTok | Merseyside Buses on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(29/06/2014 13:10)R557 ABA Wrote:  Arriva Birkenhead adopted the "Liverpool 437" layout after the Palatines started to leave (which originally had two lines of text with alternating via points below), and after consultation with disability groups and myself and a few other organisations we all agreed that the final destination looked the best (with a far less change of missing the bus) rather than two lines with scrolling text below.

It's possible to have two lines with the top line still meeting DDA requirements. The scrolling bit whether an actual scrolling line or alternating text is helpful especially to folks who may be looking for an intermediate point and don't realise that they have a choice of services 'passing through'.
I prefer two-line destinations where by the first line is capitalised with the via in 'standard' case. It usually works better do to the decreased font size if both lines are in bold font.

HALTON LEA 2
Busway Circular

NETHERLEY 79D
Part - Route

CHESTER 21
Via Frodsham

Scrolling destinations work better for longer services such as the 2, 47, 300, 375 etc....
(29/06/2014 15:25)Sminky Wrote:  It's possible to have two lines with the top line still meeting DDA requirements. The scrolling bit whether an actual scrolling line or alternating text is helpful especially to folks who may be looking for an intermediate point and don't realise that they have a choice of services 'passing through'.

Certainly, the DDA guidelines states that 2 lines are acceptable providing they're at least a certain size, although I can't remember the size off the top of my head, under no circumstances should the destination be all in capital letters like Speke's though.

busambassador on Instagram, Flickr & TikTok | Merseyside Buses on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(29/06/2014 15:56)R557 ABA Wrote:  Certainly, the DDA guidelines states that 2 lines are acceptable providing they're at least a certain size, although I can't remember the size off the top of my head, under no circumstances should the destination be all in capital letters like Speke's though.

As you say, capitalisation of the whole word is not allowed, just the initial letter. It's certainly easier to pick words out when they're lower case. IIRC it's 125mm minimum for the front text showing the ultimate destination of the service.
I think with so many routes changing, its a good idea to inform people what places the bus goes before the final destination

View my flickr http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/104753198@N08/ my flickr account.
The thing is if you try to put too much information on the front of the bus , it diminishes the one thing the passenger wants to know and that is the destination , scrolling information is very off putting if you happen to see the bus at the end of the scrolling display .

It is a case though of what one person likes another person will hate though.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)