Current time: 04/05/2024, 01:00 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Operator Competition in the North West
RE: Stagecoach Chester & Wirral
(25/05/2014 14:22)wirralbus Wrote:  Think what is trying to be said is that Stagecoach could do a Darlington to the opposition , I do think that most people with an enthusiasm in buses remembers that place.

Yeah, it could if it wanted. But it isn't going to and for one simple reason, that being that Brian Souter himself recognised in a book that the Darlington saga did Stagecoach more PR harm than it brought any kind of good.

Let us not forget that Stagecoach is not the most recent to engage in dodgy practices. Arriva would have done exactly the same in Chester seven years ago as Stagecoach did in Darlington had Chester council not sold CCT to First as soon as they realised what was about to happen.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Operator Competition in the North West
All - I've moved the above posts into a separate thread to save taking the Stagecoach Chester & Wirral thread too far off-topic. If all posts on this topic could therefore be directed here instead, that'd be much appreciated. Thanks.

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]
Cumfybus standards have been going the wrong way for quite a while now, the vast majority of their buses have a mismatch of panels, the worst are their silver ones, one of them has at least three different coloured parts on them, one has a yellow engine cover, black bumper and then the silver doesn't even match, truly appalling advert for the company. As for the ride on their buses, well I hardly ever need to use their services, but is cumfybus an unfortunate name.
Stagecoach may want to buy out Avon Buses for their commercial operations, but would almost certainly be blocked by the CMA. However, Stagecoach can compete against Avon, and if Avon reduce their services this won't be classed as a problem. It is just hard on Avon's owners.

Could Stagecoach even covet any Arriva routes that venture south of Birkenhead?
I think stagecoach wouldnt go head to head with arriva as i think there ok with sharing but just not with little independents who as a pretty much decent commercial network within there operating area.
RE: Stagecoach Chester & Wirral
(25/05/2014 17:40)126th street Wrote:  But is it surprising that Stagecoach Manchester responded robustly to an incursion on to the 192? It's clearly a good paying route and it's natural that they would strike back. UK North provided nothing whatsoever that Stagecoach didn't already, and their stupidly low fares have contributed to the instability seen in the South Manchester bus market until recently. And that came from Peter Shipp, someone who knows about these things.

UK North instigated the battle on the 192s and they got what anyone with a modicum of knowledge about running buses could see was coming. As has been said by Dentionian. the end fo UKN came when one of their drivers who could speak either no or very little English killed a bloke who happened to be working in a cherry picker.

Two of its directors then spending time in one of the government's hotels tells its own story. As with one or two others who have gone over the past few years, the bus industry is well rid of UK North.

I agree with your point regarding Cumfybus, however.

The streets of Manchester are a safer place now UK North is no longer around but in my opinion Stagecoach did take a very strange interest in seeing them taken off the road for good.

What I find more worrying is that operators like UK North and more recently JPT are allowed to operate in such terrible conditions. Vehicle standards were appalling and customer service wasn't much better, and what's more worrying is that there are still operators around who operate a 'turn up when they want' timetable and thier vehicles are in a very visable poor condition.
From my viewpoint, I think that Stagecoach in the Wirral are simply looking out for money making opportunities & Avon happen to have routes that offer the best financial return. If Stagecoach wanted rid of Avon, they would have saturated the Wirral with duplicate services by now.

Most other services not already operated by Avon, Stagecoach or Arriva are subsidised by Merseytravel so wouldn't really be of interest.
The only companies worth having in immediate area now are Halton & Warrington along with Avon, the rest are not worth the effort. Halton & Warrington don't appear interested in selling anyway, and are they not both council owned anyway. Please somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Both are still local authority owned and neither have shown any sign of wanting to sell. Warrington would have the potentially huge problem for any would-be buyer of dealing with a highly militant drivers' union, so I doubt there would be too much interest anyway...
Just a quick reminder for everyone of the following sections of the forum guidelines:
Quote:1. Please enjoy the forum! The forum was set up for bus enthusiasts to discuss the hobby so please use it to the full but be mindful that your posts do not/are not:

b) Unfairly critical of any company or their vehicles.

c) Libellous to either yourself or the site.

Thanks.

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)