Current time: 26/04/2024, 23:35 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mersey Ferries
RE: Mersey Ferries
(16/12/2015 20:03)wirralbus Wrote:  Oh this is going to be interesting to say the least , you have Woodside with a giant cut up lump of metal called a U boat outside of it .

Oh well i remember a much derided former member of the forum Infamy141 , do you remember him saying this would happen and look at what is going to happen.

To be honest i can see hellfire and damnation being thrown at Merseytravel and Merseyferries over any decisions regarding the Mersey Ferries.
Always found Infamy thought-provoking - and certainly seems he was correct on this one.

I guess they moved the U-Boat once, so I guess they can do it again, but this will likely have a major impact on the tramway and the Transport Museum.

I think there may be strong resistance - a lot of Birkenhead people still see Woodside as their ferry and Seacombe as Wallasey. Certainly on a decent day and if I'm in no hurry - I'll get off the train at Hamilton Square and take the ferry - won't be able to do that at Seacombe. Also I often take visiting friends to Woodside to catch the ferry - I know it's not that much further, but not sure I can be bothered to go to Seacombe.

My overall impression is that Merseytravel is shifting their focus which is good, but increasing the frequency on the triangle at least in the summer and withdrawing all commuter services makes more sense to me.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Firstly Infamy had got it in for certain people on this forum , but i always enjoyed what he had to say whether it was for the good or for the bad.

Where would you move the U Boat this time , the tramway would not be able to attract people without the ferries as a passing attraction .

I dont think Merseytravel have yet seen the anger that will erupt if they announce one of there stages is going to close .

I do think having one of the ferries on the ship canal in the summer and the other laid up means when the one doing the triangle breaks down that's the end of the ferries for the day isnt good at all.
Royal Iris is out of action after hitting an object on the Manchester Ship Canal and began taking on water
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/live...y-11594336
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(10/07/2016 16:23)RedPanda Wrote:  Royal Iris is out of action after hitting an object on the Manchester Ship Canal and began taking on water
http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/live...y-11594336
I thought that the incident occurred before the ferry entered the Eastham Locks System?

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
(11/07/2016 18:11)childwallblues Wrote:  I thought that the incident occurred before the ferry entered the Eastham Locks System?

Will it get repaired at Lairds? Do we know where the Ferry is at the minute?

View my flickr http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/104753198@N08/ my flickr account.
Or will it be cheaper to re-commission the Ferry rusting in Wallasey Docks!

View my flickr http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/104753198@N08/ my flickr account.
(11/07/2016 20:27)WAITING FOR THE 437 Wrote:  Will it get repaired at Lairds? Do we know where the Ferry is at the minute?
Still at Eastham isn't she?

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
(11/07/2016 20:29)WAITING FOR THE 437 Wrote:  Or will it be cheaper to re-commission the Ferry rusting in Wallasey Docks!

I think they will just do the work required on the Royal Iris of the Mersey , please note this her official title.

I think it will be too costly to re-commission the one in the docks .

Presently all Manchester Ship Canal Cruises are suspended till at least 31st August 2016 , to be honest 2016 maybe the year that Mersey ferries may wish to forget with regards these cruises after the bridge collapse at Barton as well.
Credit to Twitter, Mersey Ferrys is not running today

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(27/07/2016 15:37)wirralbus Wrote:  I think they will just do the work required on the Royal Iris of the Mersey , please note this her official title.

I think it will be too costly to re-commission the one in the docks .

Presently all Manchester Ship Canal Cruises are suspended till at least 31st August 2016 , to be honest 2016 maybe the year that Mersey ferries may wish to forget with regards these cruises after the bridge collapse at Barton as well.

I have been told that the ship sat in Birkenhead Docks will definitely cost too much to put back into service .

Also been told that when the Royal Iris of the Mersey is fit and ready to be used again , that the other ferry will go off service for some work to be done to rectify a few faults .

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)