Current time: 01/05/2024, 19:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

DartSLF Opinions 2013
Information DartSLF Opinions 2013
I've created this thread as I'm interested in people's opinions on certain aspects of the bus industry in 2013 - and I'm sure that others will be, too. Unlike last year, this isn't an award ceremony (which was a failure due to people having varying opinions, hence the different approach this year).

The questions are as follows - if you have a few minutes to spare, please answer them with a reason to back-up your answer:
1 - Who was the best company of the year?
2 - Who was the worst company of the year?
3 - What bus(es) were the best delivery to a company of the year?
(This includes new and old buses to a company/depot that may have already been in use!)
4 - What withdrawn bus(es) were the hardest goodbye from a company of the year?
(This includes new and old buses that left a company/depot, even if they're still in use elsewhere!)
5 - Which bus(es) looked the smartest during the year?
6 - What was the rarest sighting of the year?
7 - What was the biggest surprise in the industry of the year?
8 - What was the biggest disappointment in the industry of the year?
9 - What bus was the best during the year?
10 - What bus was the worst during the year?

Like myself, some people may not wish to post their opinions until the end of the year as there's still time for things to change. There's no deadline, as such, but it'd be nice if those who wish to participate could do so by the end of January 2014.

View my new Flickr Wave Updated!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: DartSLF Opinions 2013
Halton Transport. - After a few years of shortening services, 2013 launched a highly successful change to the 26/26A that was much needed, altering the 62 to serve Hough green was another good move that suited passenger demand and after a few weeks of various buses on school contracts, they provided the right capacity of vehicles for the services, including duplication on service 43 Runcorn > Cronton bound.
Impera without a doubt. - Stories of legends tell of a bus that once arrived on time, if at all. Laugh
Not much to choose from here, but I do like the SR's used by Cumfybus and HTL, even if they are a bit too small for most routes they're used on.
Call me crazy, but I do miss the DLA's, they certainly had "something", some even had acceleration!
Peoplebus, their new livery seems to compliment everything!
Arriva 2247 on the 79?, Halton #20 on the 14A, #57 on the 44 (pre-Septmeber)
Classicbus starting their X70, and then getting into operating problems.
The launch of the Streetdeck. In my opinion they've somehow made the Gemini 2 look worse.
I've always liked Halton #30 due to it's powerful gearbox and surprising acceleration, I would certainly crown it the king of the batch on speed alone, but internally it doesn't smell of "Au de Halton Transporté" (damp).
I don't really have anything for this one. Possibly Arriva 2557, it's off the road more than on and known for its overheating and various breakdowns
Find all posts by this user
1 - Who was the best company of the year? Avon as they keep going better and better through strengtg to strength and have a decent fleet

2 - Who was the worst company of the year? CUMFYBUS still unfortuatly the state of some of there older buses are shocking tbh

3 - What bus(es) were the best delivery to a company of the year? Warrington Coachways getting the DAF Mylleniums for service 37/38 replacing vans

4 - What withdrawn bus(es) were the hardest goodbye from a company of the year? the last of the MTL Plaxtons where a very hard good bye

5 - Which bus(es) looked the smartest during the year? Arriva Birkenheads Hybrid Gemini 2's

6 - What was the rarest sighting of the year? A picture of Warrington Coachways transit van on route 37/38

7 - What was the biggest surprise in the industry of the year? Impera going

8 - What was the biggest disappointment in the industry of the year? The end of some of Imperas buses and routes

9 - What bus was the best during the year? I have a couple X187BNH at Impera, W124XMA at Avon also fairbrothera Palatines where fantastic

10 - What bus was the worst during the year? Warrington Coachways Mercades breadvans
(27/12/2013 18:38)KU02 YUH Wrote:  I've created this thread as I'm interested in people's opinions on certain aspects of the bus industry in 2013 - and I'm sure that others will be, too. Unlike last year, this isn't an award ceremony (which was a failure due to people having varying opinions, hence the different approach this year).

The questions are as follows - if you have a few minutes to spare, please answer them with a reason to back-up your answer:
(This includes new and old buses to a company/depot that may have already been in use!)
(This includes new and old buses that left a company/depot, even if they're still in use elsewhere!)

Like myself, some people may not wish to post their opinions until the end of the year as there's still time for things to change. There's no deadline, as such, but it'd be nice if those who wish to participate could do so by the end of January 2014.

similar to what we do every year, I was thinking about this the other day so you have beaten me to it.

1. A kind of token choice as nobody really stands out, but just about stagecoach for their rapid replacement of older vehicles after the first takeover.
2. Worst company has to be Impera really, mainly for their constant chopping and changing of services, can't have helped their demise.
3. Best Delivery, has to be stagecoaches investments in new vehicles following the first takeover, just about count as 2013.
4. Withdrawn Buses, has to be the R-WVR olympians really from Arriva.
5. Stagecoaches nearly always look tidy, but those Arriva cross-river Gemini's take the prize.
6. Rarest sighting, has to be a tidy cumfybus old shaped solo.
7. Biggest surprise, the return of Arriva 7674 after marshalls had already began to be withdrawn.
8. Biggest disappointment in the industry, if it counts it has to be the suspension of bus lanes in Liverpool, a truly ludicrous decision in most cases made by a mayor that has not idea what he is doing.
9. Best bus is a good one, for me it has to be enviro 400, 4415 this is an absolute flyer.
10. Worse bus, well temptation would lead to a marshall, but no too easy, so probably dart 2244, a truly awful ride from a bus that hasn't been here on merseyside for that long. It beats 2216 and that takes some doing.
Stagecoach Manchester For there continued investment & also for turning around the fleet in Wigan & Finally giving it abit of investment it had been
screaming for

JPT - Poor Buses,Poor Reliability & What is it with that company & Service 17?!

The New Solo SR Hybrids of Cumfybus at Bolton,fantasic little buses & actully decent build quality for an Optare!

Arriva`s R-WVR Olympians

Arrivas Hybrid Geminis Or (surprisingly) JPTs Ex-Stagecoach Volvo B10L/Wrights#

Warrington Coachways Transit on 37/38

Firstbus Buying Finglands - Nice to see them expanding after losing Wigan,lets hope they dont mess this operation up if/when they get it

Impera Going Bust or X70 Red Arrow (Sending Merc Citaro Bendys down a motorway,im impressed there was no fires!)

YJ54 BUU,Always had a soft spot for the Rossendalebus Optare Solos but as this bus has moved to Kline (a local company of mine) i`d say this is one
of the best in the bunch

P332JND,Bodge job city,rattles,slow im surprised theyve left it leave the depot in the condition its in!
Same as fox, Halton Transport has to be the one for me (biased opinions aside) like fox highlights Halton have had a couple of very uncertain years, but this year has seen a vital restructure in routes with the total relaunch of the 26/26a by aquiring a initial 3 solos from blackpool transport which paid of, also the new route of the 62/62a to serve Hough Green and Liverpool Rd. Other surprises include the 14f which despite running only once per day sees good loadings.
Merseypride of course a utter shambolic company for obvious reasons. However not a massive fan of jpt I think some of there buses are in pretty awful condition despite not operating a bad structure of routes. Arriva's runcorn depot has some concerning reliability issues with cadets as well.
Haltons solos have performed well with no reported breakdowns and from 55 are not bad buses.
Love them are Hate them and you probably do, Marshalls 7670, 7671, 7672 operated in my area for a month or so this year and I got rather attached, may not have been the best buses ever but I liked there character.
Prehaps Cumfybus's hybrid solos, the fleet of enviro200s and enviro300s at Jim Stones coaches always looked smart and very clean this year.
7671 on the 79c
Not any of note really.
Impera going maybe, always quite liked them.
2525 isn't bad for a cadet.
2982 simple...

It has to be Stagecoach Manchester for me with their investment in their Middleton Depot fleet since taking over Bluebird

Warrington Coachways since Network Warrington took some of the daytime 5s off its hit and miss whether you can get from Altrincham-Warrrington

First Manchester's Enviro 300s and the 2 Gemini 2s that are at Oldham Depot

For me it definitely has to be First Manchester's Wright Crusader Darts, despite some being sluggish on hills they've operated in/around Manchester and Oldham since new

First Manchester's Heritage Fleet

Seeing a double decker on Arriva Wythenshawe's 247 Trafford Centre-Altrincham service

Preston Bus Station being given listed building status and also possible refurbishment

I'm not from Merseyside but I'll still have to go with getting rid of Bus Lanes in/around Liverpool which means more lost mileage for operators

First 40416 the last Wright Crusader Dart standing at Oldham Depot, it lasted longer than the rest

Stagecoach Manchester's 26131 Plaxton Centro, spends more time on the pits then it does off unfortunately
Actually going to go for First Manchester on this one, fares reductions and investment have turned this company around.
Any that went bust.
Wright Eclipses for First.
Dennis Arrows from Tameside depot.
First Manchester heritage fleet - however the recently transferred and repainted Darts and B7s at Tameside look very good and clean.
First Manchester 31929
Irizar/Scania single deck bus
First Manchester Tameside depot not getting any more investment.
FM 31929, what a survivor.
SM 19101
(27/12/2013 18:38)KU02 YUH Wrote:  I've created this thread as I'm interested in people's opinions on certain aspects of the bus industry in 2013 - and I'm sure that others will be, too. Unlike last year, this isn't an award ceremony (which was a failure due to people having varying opinions, hence the different approach this year).

1) Arriva without a doubt. Constant investment in the fleet with all the old MTL vehicles having been rapidly eradicated in the past 3/4 years has made for a much more pleasant travelling experience!
2) Impera. Whilst they're services were good the way they treated the passengers was absolutely disgusting.
3) Can't really answer this, nothing which stands out to me. Not a fan of Pulsars, Enviro 300s or Hybrids as an enthusiast. As a general passenger is another story.
4) The R-WVRs at Arriva. In my opinion, they were the last of the proper buses before stuff became cheap and lightweight.
5) The new Pulsars at Green Lane, still look quite tidy to this day.
6) 2634 on the 86A, an insane allocation in every possible way.
7) ClassicBus going bust. Thought they were a good example of an independent.
8) Arriva's Hybrids. They're just so much worse then what they were expected to be, rough gear changes, rattly interiors and un-comfy seats...
9) Newly P&P'd 2720. An excellent bus in every department.
10) 2556/7 at Green Lane. Two unbelieveably sluggish buses which can barely reach 30MPH in half a mile...

Justice is finally here. Rest In Peace the 96, You'll Never Walk Alone.

P309 HEM|N587 CKA|Y721 KNF|N302 CKB|X223 ANC
On your number 4 @V671, would you not consider that to actually be the Renowns rather than the Olympians? Not at all having a pop, just a genuine question! I do realise this post is slightly off-topic too so apologies all!

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)