Current time: 23/04/2024, 17:05 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Skem on Merseyrail
Skem on Merseyrail
Will it happen?:-

http://www.osadvertiser.co.uk/news/skelm...-34067763/
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Skem on Merseyrail
This is actually really interesting but probably belongs in the Merseyrail thread.
Sorry, but if work begins on this then separate thread should be appropriate
i highly doubt merseyrail are gonna just change the route to go to skelmersdale it more likely to be on wigan line as that goes past south of skem
Original thoughts on this proposal were that the old line from Ormskirk to St Helens would be rebuilt as far as Skelmersdale.
Has anybody got any further details on this?

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
This was mooted eight-or-more years ago but nothing happened. I think it's on Merseytravel's "It would be nice to have" list.

“People's backyards are much more interesting than their front gardens, and houses that back on to railways are public benefactors.” - John Betjeman
(25/11/2013 19:26)childwallblues Wrote:  Original thoughts on this proposal were that the old line from Ormskirk to St Helens would be rebuilt as far as Skelmersdale.

It would be logical to join the Skem bit of the old St Helens line with the Liverpool - Kirkby - Wigan line at Rainford Junction and electrify the lines needed
I have to think this is something for when Merseytravel get there new rolling stock as there is nowhere near enough stock to run the service as it is now , with stock failing on a daily basis .

It would be nice to see in the future and would give Arriva food for thought .
I think it should be routed via Kirkby, for two reasons: firstly, the Ormskirk line is at capacity already in peak hours, so short of significant service improvements, the overcrowding on this line would get worse. Obviously the Kirkby line is also very busy in the peaks, but six car running could be introduced here. Secondly, electrification to Skem via Kirkby would allow the proposed Headbolt Lane station to be finally built and Rainford to become a Merseyrail station.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
(25/11/2013 19:26)childwallblues Wrote:  Original thoughts on this proposal were that the old line from Ormskirk to St Helens would be rebuilt as far as Skelmersdale.

There is a map here showing the Kirkby-Wigan line deviation into Skem town centre:-

http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/corporate/w...=43608&e=e

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)