Current time: 03/05/2024, 10:14 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Signs on Merseytravel Bus Stops
Signs on Merseytravel Bus Stops
Hello everyone,
Just wondering has anyone else noticed the new signs that merseytravel seem to be putting on the outside of bus stop shelters ,and on the sign on the pole in some cases, stating the destination of all/some of the buses that call there in an abbreviated form, the ones I have seen up to now are as follows:
BOO-Bootle
AIG-Aigburth
WAD-Waddicar
MAG-Maghull
LIV-Liverpool

What is the point of these signs as they dont really help the passengers in my opinion, the timetable that is on the pole/in the shelter anyway tells you where the bus really goes anyway. Another thing that is at some stops there are buses that call have other destinations than what the sign says, for example there is one at old roan stating MAG presumably meaning Maghull when in reality the main bus routes are as follows
300-To southport
311-To skelmersdale
350-To Maghull
How they come to the conclusion that a sign saying MAG can be justified I dont know.

What are your opinions and have you seen any others with different 3 letter abbreviations
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Signs on merseytravel bus stops
I think it would be much better if they took a leaf out of Transport for Greater Manchester's book and went back to showing route numbers on the bus stop signs. This has got to be more helpful than as you say showing 'ORM' at a bus stop where most buses go elsewhere.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
(12/11/2013 18:39)507009 Wrote:  I think it would be much better if they took a leaf out of Transport for Greater Manchester's book and went back to showing route numbers on the bus stop signs. This has got to be more helpful than as you say showing 'ORM' at a bus stop where most buses go elsewhere.

Indeed I like manchesters idea with a list of route numbers on each stop and just above them with Towards:....
That system was stupid though as soon as the routes change, they're required to be replaced and altered, Halton Council are terrible at this.
There are still some bus stops with the numbers on the flag in places like Gatacre Church and Cronton Village with route numbers such as H4/5

The bus stop at Aigburth Vale for Liverpool / Bootle bound services used to have this unique silver bus stop, with a large white flag split into squares, each containing a service number. I assume this was a merseytravel trial and for some reason was unsuccessful as it was removed after about a year and never resurfaced anywhere else locally.
They should go to what Manchester have, or in fact what we used to have a good few years back when the bus numbers that stopped there were on the bus stop sign itself.
I do think the manchester style system as mentioned would be better but only if properly maintained as if not it just seems to portray a 'sloppy' image of the pte
Back in the day a lot of stops used to show route numbers particularly at multiple stop locations - and this system was clear and understood by the travelling public. There again they didn't used to change the routes every six months.London Transport used to put the route numbers on small square metal plates that they slotted into grooves on the sign - easily changeable when necessary - just take one out and put a new one in.
The idea with the plates sounds like a really good idea but to be honest i dont think merseytravel would ever invest into anything like that because being honest it would probably be vandalised quite quickly in some areas
Unfortunately I have to agree that is a true reality
Sorry my mistake the one I said about that was at old roan says MAG presumably for maghull not ORM as i said although the buses mentioned do go there only the 350 actually terminates there? Would love to know the logic in these signs

Got a picture of one today also, not the best but just so you can see what they look like.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)