Current time: 20/04/2024, 07:09 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Manchester Airport Buses
RE: Manchester Airport Buses
Two of the White Enviro 200s are at Go Goodwin's for preparation for a return to the lessor.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Enviro200 MMC demonstrator YX18 KWV is now here.
Two new 2-door Enviro200 MMC's are here, painted in a new two tone blue fleet livery. They are YX69 NXO, M. Unlike previous Enviro's operated here, this pair have been purchased rather than leased, and further examples are due at the rate of two a year. The Hybrid Versa's will be the first to be replaced.
All electric Alexander Dennis Enviro200 EV demonstrator LJ68 CYO is here. If successful, all future deliveries will be of the type. This example also lacks any mirrors, instead using screens inside the cab. A solution to a problem that doesn't exist in my opinion, and very hard to get used to!
I think the argument is it avoids blindspots - although since failure results in one big blindspot I don't really buy it.
;
(04/02/2020 15:48)mikestone Wrote:  I think the argument is it avoids blindspots - although since failure results in one big blindspot I don't really buy it.
;

I agree, I certainly don't buy it either. Having driven it last night the two large monitors in the cab do a pretty good job of obstructing the forward view, creating two blindspots of their own. Plus the state of the roads means it's only a matter of time before connections become loose and one or both of the monitors fail. Hopefully common sense will prevail...although that may be asking too much.
Having not worked on any or even seen them in person yet I can see advantages to it. Especially in city centre areas, most large depots can have a few wing mirrors knocked off every day, be it the fault of the driver or a third party, parts, labour and the lost mileage can add up the cost quite quickly. Although I still agree about the chances of failure being quite high with generally flimsy wiring not lasting too long.
The more electrical gadgets they add to a vehicle, there more there is to go wrong.
It only takes an electrical fault with the power feed to the monitors or cameras and the veichle becomes immobile and would require towing in.
Another one is what if the cameras on the outside start to get covered in muck/dirt and the view isnt very clear or unusable.
I agree with the electrical issues but surely if the camera's get dirty they will just require cleaning as you would do with conventional mirrors.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)