Current time: 19/04/2024, 16:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Manchester Airport Buses
RE: Manchester Airport Buses
(26/12/2020 23:12)James Frisby Wrote:  and all of the Hybrid Optare Versa's are now withdrawn, likely to be sold for spares or scrap

Now that surprises me, having spoken to a lot of Ex-Optare engineers they all say how much better the airport buses were maintained compared to there TfGM counterparts. Still if a bus isn't worth much more than scrap or parts then cant really be helped.

Makes me wonder what they are actually worth scrap value, mustn't be cheap disposing of the batteries and is there much of a demand for the electrical parts with many operators moving away from Optare hybrids.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(27/12/2020 05:15)Solo40336 Wrote:  Now that surprises me, having spoken to a lot of Ex-Optare engineers they all say how much better the airport buses were maintained compared to there TfGM counterparts. Still if a bus isn't worth much more than scrap or parts then cant really be helped.

Makes me wonder what they are actually worth scrap value, mustn't be cheap disposing of the batteries and is there much of a demand for the electrical parts with many operators moving away from Optare hybrids.

Don’t think there’s an Optare hybrid anywhere that’s not had problems. Sure an Optare engineer at Trafford told me some of the airport hybrids were converted to non hybrid a while back due to ongoing issues with the hybrid systems.
(27/12/2020 10:41)Mayneway Wrote:  Don’t think there’s an Optare hybrid anywhere that’s not had problems. Sure an Optare engineer at Trafford told me some of the airport hybrids were converted to non hybrid a while back due to ongoing issues with the hybrid systems.

True, I suppose being maintained better than the absolute minimum isnt much of a standard still.
(27/12/2020 13:36)Solo40336 Wrote:  True, I suppose being maintained better than the absolute minimum isnt much of a standard still.

One of my colleagues used to work at APH. He reckoned they used to send buses to Optare for inspection/service and they would pick them up with windscreen wipers not working, panels not secured properly and dash boards lit up like Christmas tree’s so it wasn’t just the TFGM vehicles not shown any love...... the only optares that seem to run ok are the diesel ones NOT maintained by Optare.
All of the Versa Hybrids were changed to run on pure diesel because of constant problems with the batteries...although it did little to improve their reliability. It also means they now arnt particularly fuel efficient, as they are still carrying the extra weight associated with their former Hybrid drive.

The problem with trying to sell them is their configuration, with them having dual doors and extensive racking, they would likely need a bit of money spent on them for use on conventional service work...money that would probably be better spent on a more reliable vehicle!
(27/12/2020 14:36)Mayneway Wrote:  One of my colleagues used to work at APH. He reckoned they used to send buses to Optare for inspection/service and they would pick them up with windscreen wipers not working, panels not secured properly and dash boards lit up like Christmas tree’s so it wasn’t just the TFGM vehicles not shown any love...... the only optares that seem to run ok are the diesel ones NOT maintained by Optare.

We have the same problem with ours, they'll more than likely have developed another fault by the time we pick them up.

Also, when our batch of Euro6 Versa's arrived, every single one was delivered without the heating pipes attached, so none had working demisters or heating. Probably why when it comes to leasing additional buses, they usually choose Enviro's.
(27/12/2020 22:38)James Frisby Wrote:  We have the same problem with ours, they'll more than likely have developed another fault by the time we pick them up.

Also, when our batch of Euro6 Versa's arrived, every single one was delivered without the heating pipes attached, so none had working demisters or heating. Probably why when it comes to leasing additional buses, they usually choose Enviro's.

It was the same when I was at MCT. Saw some shocking bodge up jobs when we went to pick up TFGM vehicles probably why they are all still sat in Stockport.
YX22 OHF is the first of four Enviro200 MMCs due here this month. It entered service last night.
(01/06/2022 17:40)James Frisby Wrote:  YX22 OHF is the first of four Enviro200 MMCs due here this month. It entered service last night.
And YX22 OHG is the next one to arrive.
Does anybody have an upto date fleet list at all? Noticed a number of the 12 plate Optares off for scrap and reports of many in storage. I lost interest when the last of the Darts left but its peaking again now!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)