Current time: 29/05/2024, 12:42 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Closure of bus lanes in Liverpool
RE: Closure of bus lanes in Liverpool
It's an absolutely horrible idea and in my opinion has nothing to do with improving road conditions, as if it did there were far more important things to look at instead of bus lanes. How about the traffic light layout in central Liverpool? Easily one of the worst systems around and an absolute nightmare for anything on the road, be it car or bus.

Oh Superman where are you now, when everything's gone wrong somehow, the men of steel, the men of power, are losing control by the hour.
4108 | 4120 | 4125 | 4127 | 507001 | 507006 | 507023 | 508111 | 508130
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Traffic Lights are usually centrally computerised to maximise road space , the problem is they still seem to go off on there circuit at night when there is nothing around .

Chester is a prime example of computerised traffic control that goes mad at night .
I haven't seen any evidence to suggest Arriva are "bullying" the council, and let's face it, they've got every right to be more than a little displeased at what has happened. Reliability of certain bus routes (prime example being the 79) is bad enough without losing bus lanes as well. If reliability sinks further, and it will, Arriva will naturally get the blame and it would not be justified. I support their fight to restore the bus lanes completely.

Mind you, this is the sort of nonsense you expect when a clueless clown of a mayor gets elected. Frankly, it's embarrassing having him representing our city.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
(21/11/2013 13:47)507009 Wrote:  I haven't seen any evidence to suggest Arriva are "bullying" the council, and let's face it, they've got every right to be more than a little displeased at what has happened. Reliability of certain bus routes (prime example being the 79) is bad enough without losing bus lanes as well. If reliability sinks further, and it will, Arriva will naturally get the blame and it would not be justified. I support their fight to restore the bus lanes completely.

Mind you, this is the sort of nonsense you expect when a clueless clown of a mayor gets elected. Frankly, it's embarrassing having him representing our city.

I agree, thing is I doubt that it is just the 79 that this has affected, no doubt this has affected 20/21 as well with the Rice Lane Bus Lane now a free for all, it is now chaotic there at rush hour again. The Mayor well, I have criticised him on here previously and you have summed him up well.
(20/11/2013 20:38)wirralbus Wrote:  Traffic Lights are usually centrally computerised to maximise road space , the problem is they still seem to go off on there circuit at night when there is nothing around .

Chester is a prime example of computerised traffic control that goes mad at night .

I've spoken to Merseytravel about the phasing of City Centre traffic lights and they told me the City Council welcome comments, but usually take no noticeSad

Even in the daytime, traffic can be awkward and this explains why Arriva run routes like the 52-QUEEN SQUARE in the daytime and the 52-LIVERPOOL ONE at night. You just can't get to Liverpool ONE in busy daylight hours without reliable timings.

As for suspending the bus lanes, this seems to be The Fat Controller's ego-trip, a way of saying "I'm the Mayor, look at what I will do!" without proper consultation or respect.

I'd like to see him pay for all the changes to the Merseytravel Bus Times leaflets now that most services won't meet their promised schedules and reprints may be necessary.
If he's going to knock timings out of kilter, he should take direct responsibility for them and pay from his own pocket. He is the Mayor after all.
It seems the mayor is trying to be Liverpool's equivalent of Boris in London , just imagine if Boris tried to get rid of bus lanes in London the chaos.
Whatever you might think about Boris, he's got a lot more about him than Anderson. London's public transport system is improving, Liverpool's isn't.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
One thing Boris is responsible for is the money wasted on the Borismasters though, Anderson is just trying to gain popularity with all drivers other than bus drivers so he gets re-elected when the time comes.
Arriva employ thousands of people in the area and have thousands of customers so they are entitled to throw their weight around.

As Liverpool is safe Labour territory this man will keep getting voted in, but it will be interested to see where the money shortfall from all the fines for misusing the bus lane will come from.

We keep getting told to use public transport more from everyone, but people will only use it if it improves and appeals to more people.
Idea I heard on BBC radio yesterday that Joe Anderson is giving serious consideration to installing Red Routes, similar to the ones that exist in London, for the certain roads in Liverpool. Ironically many of these roads were until recently peak hour bus lanes. The rationale for this is that inconsiderate motorists and delivery vans are parking on double yellow lines causing congestion, slowing down traffic flow (and bus services!) in the sure knowledge that they will avoid a parking ticket from a passing LEO.

For those of you who aren't familiar with the scheme, this will make it illegal to stop FOR ANY LENGTH OF TIME whilst driving in one of these roads at designated times. The routes are under constant CCTV surveillance with ANPR facility and automatically issue a fine to anybody who breaks the bye-law.

The areas mentioned in the report were Kensington and Smithdown Road, but from my own experience this could also include the stretch of County Road in Walton that was a bus lane until it was a suspended late last year.

As a motorist, I would have no problem with this proposal being implemented. What do other people think?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)