Current time: 12/05/2024, 02:58 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

TransPennine Express
RE: First Transpennine Express
(04/08/2013 20:34)WidnesRuncornBus Wrote:  
(02/08/2013 10:54)wirralbus Wrote:  You will probably find that the entire transpennine service will look completely different after electrification of the main service .

Shame, I quite like the way it was structured. I dont like it when operators mess around with there services and mess up routine to the extent FTPE are going to when its already working (to a extent). But I surpose its for the best.

May be a nice network now , but and here is the big but , I dont want to see Diesel's travelling for mile upon mile under overhead wire if most of the route is electrified . Diesel is a resource that should then only be used where the ultimate journey end is not wired up.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(05/08/2013 05:29)wirralbus Wrote:  
(04/08/2013 20:34)WidnesRuncornBus Wrote:  
(02/08/2013 10:54)wirralbus Wrote:  You will probably find that the entire transpennine service will look completely different after electrification of the main service .

Shame, I quite like the way it was structured. I dont like it when operators mess around with there services and mess up routine to the extent FTPE are going to when its already working (to a extent). But I surpose its for the best.

May be a nice network now , but and here is the big but , I dont want to see Diesel's travelling for mile upon mile under overhead wire if most of the route is electrified . Diesel is a resource that should then only be used where the ultimate journey end is not wired up.
I would also prefer not to see this happen.

DfT plans to electrify Windermere branch.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/elect...e-district

Bit of a surprise, but very worthwhile IMO.

Should get a good benefit:cost ratio.

Travel is glamorous only in retrospect.
(09/08/2013 16:18)First Class Wrote:  DfT plans to electrify Windermere branch.

Will this be with the existing track and signalling or will a loop be introduced to produce some flexibility on the branch line
(09/08/2013 17:24)wirralbus Wrote:  
(09/08/2013 16:18)First Class Wrote:  DfT plans to electrify Windermere branch.

Will this be with the existing track and signalling or will a loop be introduced to produce some flexibility on the branch line

For £16m, I would say just electrification for now, cost seems a little high for 10 miles though, so possibly line speed enhancements connected with level crossing upgrades.

You could do a few things like extend the platform at Windermere to accommodate longer trains, (Pendolinos/Charters etc). A Summer only daily London-Windermere service would be popular IMO, (divert one of the Lancaster terminators).

If Windermere is planned, I assume Barrow-in-Furness must be getting considered too.

Barrow will be a bit more costly though , there has to be a benefit because it is a much longer line to electrify .

Arent they supposed to be operating the Blackpool and Barrow trains together in the interim .
(09/08/2013 18:30)wirralbus Wrote:  Barrow will be a bit more costly though , there has to be a benefit because it is a much longer line to electrify .

Arent they supposed to be operating the Blackpool and Barrow trains together in the interim .

Yes, I believe so.
I would love to see a once daily London-Windermere service. I dont use this line loads but it would be nice to have.

(11/08/2013 08:31)WidnesRuncornBus Wrote:  
(09/08/2013 18:30)wirralbus Wrote:  Barrow will be a bit more costly though , there has to be a benefit because it is a much longer line to electrify .

Yes, I believe so.
I would love to see a once daily London-Windermere service. I dont use this line loads but it would be nice to have.

With electrification taking place around Merseyside, I would greatly prefer an electric Liverpool-Windermere via St Helens Ctl service, replacing the Liverpool-Blackpool route. Would give Liverpool good connections to Lancaster and Oxenholme.

Possible portion working, 1 portion Windermere, 1 portion could attach to an ex-Manchester Scottish service.

I think there is too much demand for Liverpool -:Blackpool rather than Windermere although pearhaps if every alternate hour either Blackpool or Windermere was served might work as per the previous situation which was a Morecombe/Blackpool split.
(11/08/2013 17:13)St Helens Rider Wrote:  I think there is too much demand for Liverpool -:Blackpool rather than Windermere although pearhaps if every alternate hour either Blackpool or Windermere was served might work as per the previous situation which was a Morecombe/Blackpool split.

Think the problem maybe the extra units it would require in Liverpool .

Taking an Emu to Windermere rather Blackpool North may cost more time and more units , it would have to be looked at more closely .

One problem is Liverpool - Blackpool is Northern at this moment , Windermere is provided by TPX so there would have to be a trade off , if the DfT don't combine the franchises .

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)