Current time: 28/03/2024, 09:23 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Mayfield Manchester should be saved?
RE: Mayfield Manchester should be saved?
(15/05/2013 15:17)SandyDrew Wrote:  
(15/05/2013 13:18)wirralbus Wrote:  The problem that Mayfield would have is that it is remote from the main site at Manchester Piccadilly . What services would you put in that station?

The services to Platform 13/14 and to the new platform 15/16 when built would dissect Mayfield from Piccadilly a potential pain for the signallers .

Where are they planning to build the new platforms 15/16?

A short bridge across Fairfield street 'could' link Mayfield to the rest of Piccadilly at platforms 13/14. (depends on the location of planned 15/16 suppose)

If the plan is to have the slower services on this side - any of the stopping services to Manchester Airport, Crewe etc could use Mayfield. Leaving the other side for the fast lines (London etc)

Does that sound possible?

Platform 15 and 16 are to be built next to 13 and 14 and will be built out from the existing through platforms , this is going to be very disruptive for any services using the through platforms as there is liable to be a blockade some time in the future for the services that have to use them.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(16/05/2013 08:48)bolton bus basher Wrote:  straight away i know theres a train from the airport to pic calling at all stops along the route, that could be put into mayfield with it coming threw on the right side and am sure theres others

I see two problems , firstly there is train services coming across the pennines going to Manchester Airport that at some point have to cross the throat to enter or exit the guide bridge lines and depart to the Airport or vice versa . Network Rail are trying to limit the amount of units that have to do a full throat crossover as a failure could be cataclysmic , its bad enough when a train fails in either platform 13 or 14 and single line working on the remaining platform is done .
tbh the only reason i signed this is due to the fact i think picadilly is to small for the number of services it has to deal with but if theres already plans to build 2 extra platforms that should fix the problem

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(17/05/2013 10:34)bolton bus basher Wrote:  tbh the only reason i signed this is due to the fact i think picadilly is to small for the number of services it has to deal with but if theres already plans to build 2 extra platforms that should fix the problem

That is one of the reasons for the Northern Hub project in the first place for Manchester Victoria to share the burden , when it has all fallen into place it should be an interesting time , with the removal of some conflicting traffic from the throat of the station , some platforms can then be used more productively .

Ordsall Lane junction is to be remodelled to make the main running line the line towards Liverpool at present the junction favours services on the Windsor Link.
If I am correct the only service that crosses the "throat" of Piccadilly is the Liverpool to Scarborough. With electriication over the Pennines this service will run via Victoria (to a different destination) thus eliminating the problem.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)