Current time: 04/05/2024, 02:24 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
Northern Rail
RE: Northern Rail
I know there is a few different version of customer information system in operation on stations , think it really depends when the system was put in and what standards it had to adhere to at the time .
Find all posts by this user
(26/03/2016 09:09)St Helens Rider Wrote:  On a 319 this morning I notice that the Electrics part of Northern Electrics has now been dropped from all announcements both audio and visual, so it's looking like the brand will be dropped for the new franchise.

Also I notice the screens at St Helens Central don't display how many carriages are working each service yet although the audio announcements do.

Must be a very recent change as all of the 319s I've been on last week still had Northern Electrics audio announcements with plenty of posters advertising Northern Electrics in each of the units - albeit of all the Northern Rail references were covered up. It would be nice to see the brand continue for the new franchise (for a bit of variety if nothing else) but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't retained. Even so considering how long the Chat Moss route has been operated by the 319s I think the novelty effect has probably worn off by now
(26/03/2016 12:36)SL64 JDZ Wrote:  Must be a very recent change as all of the 319s I've been on last week still had Northern Electrics audio announcements with plenty of posters advertising Northern Electrics in each of the units - albeit of all the Northern Rail references were covered up. It would be nice to see the brand continue for the new franchise (for a bit of variety if nothing else) but I wouldn't be surprised if it isn't retained. Even so considering how long the Chat Moss route has been operated by the 319s I think the novelty effect has probably worn off by now

The alteration to the wording of the branding on the 319 announcements is being rolled out unit by unit has been since this week it has been happening
Is it so the announcements can be neutral for the changeover , given time arriva may change them again.
(26/03/2016 12:47)wirralbus Wrote:  Is it so the announcements can be neutral for the changeover , given time arriva may change them again.

Yes as far as I know.In the meantime 156420 was the most recent unit that went to Allerton for external debranding
I have been reading in the railway press now that the DfT is seriously looking at neutral liveries that can be particular to certain franchises .

Have the new operator given an idea yet what the livery will be like ?
(26/03/2016 12:40)Gordon V Wrote:  The alteration to the wording of the branding on the 319 announcements is being rolled out unit by unit has been since this week it has been happening

Thanks for clearing that up Gordon

(26/03/2016 14:22)wirralbus Wrote:  I have been reading in the railway press now that the DfT is seriously looking at neutral liveries that can be particular to certain franchises .

Have the new operator given an idea yet what the livery will be like ?

This picture of a four car Class 331 from Railway Gazette shows what could potentially be the new Northern livery - although I wouldn't be surprised if one livery is used for standard Northern services and another livery is used for Northern Connect services to differentiate between the two

I think standard franchise liveries are a good idea. They'll provide some continuity when franchise operators change and they'll save a lot of money in the long term too
Please forgive my ignorance, I thought Northern had lost the contract and was given to Arriva. If so why will trains still carry the Northern name?
(26/03/2016 16:52)chris-s Wrote:  Please forgive my ignorance, I thought Northern had lost the contract and was given to Arriva. If so why will trains still carry the Northern name?

Yes that's correct Chris. It was stipulated in the invitation to tender (ITT) that the brand name of the new franchise operating company must contain the word "North" or "Northern"
Some names are so well known you really would not want to change them , Northern , Merseyrail and Scotrail are a few that spring to mind .
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)