Current time: 19/04/2024, 21:28 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West - Southport Depot
RE: Arriva North West - Southport Depot
(22/03/2013 22:15)DEM777Y Wrote:  Apparently Southport are not now receiving the ex-Blue Bus Tridents, at least not imminently. DLAs from Bootle are due to replace the Palatines (sob!).
Well, in my opinion, that's actually great news! Those three Presidents would have been a terrible addition to Southport's service fleet. Yes, they were intended to replace the Palatine 2s in the school fleet, but just look at how regularly they go into normal service... They would have been hell on the 375/385 - for their unsuitable seating, reliability and, in Y46 ABA (4000)'s case, deficient speed. As demonstrated recently, the school fleet has pretty-much been a fleet to cover troublesome "normal" buses - the Presidents wouldn't live up to the job, as they've clearly demonstrated at Birkenhead!

Whilst "DLAs" may be seen as similar, most of Bootle's seem to have grew-out of their primary teething problems. Like every buses, though, they have their pros and cons - pros are better seating and cons are fuel consumption and, in some cases (again), speed. However, whilst "DLAs" are older, in my opinion, age is just a number in this situation as most of Bootle's have been maintained over their short lives there (as I said, primary problems have been addressed). Again, though, not ideal buses for the 375/385 - but problems when Southport had a fleet of them were down to Skelmersdale's maintenance budget (lack of it) upon their closure and overdue work needed.

The situation may be that some of Bootle's "DLAs" will be arriving alongside the three Presidents due to them replacing four Palatine 2s - only one way to find-out for sure, though, and that is by waiting to see what happens...!
(22/03/2013 22:15)DEM777Y Wrote:  The Darts are due for replacement, with first generation Pulsars from Runcorn stepping in. Or cascaded Cadets from London, depending on who you talk to!
I remember that, a while ago, ex-London Darts were brought-up on here from a reliable source. The discussion went along the lines of their being a lack of the Plaxton Pointer 2 body left in Arriva's London fleet so the likely candidates would be ALX200s - or something like that.

As for first generation Pulsars from Runcorn, they have/had Pulsar 2s - some of which are on loan to Birkenhead so may arrive at Southport after their holiday there.

Interesting times ahead! Thanks for the information! :-)

View my new Flickr Wave Updated!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Southport Olympians - blowick29 - 20/09/2012, 16:00
RE: Southport Olympians - blowick29 - 22/09/2012, 18:04
RE: Arriva North West - Southport Depot - M113 YKC - 22/03/2013 22:32

User(s) browsing this thread: 6 Guest(s)