Current time: 01/05/2024, 13:36 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bus Fares
RE: Bus Fares
(23/02/2013 08:30)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  Liverpool Zone:

£2.10 Adult flat fare
£1.70 Student/16+ (Remains unchanged)
£1.40 Child flat fare

I think I read that the Liverpool Day Ticket is now £4.00? (I may be mistaken)

True!
£4.00 Liverpool-Zone Adult Day Ticket, £3.20 NW-Zone Child Day Ticket.
But nineteen quid for an Adult NW-Weekly Ticket?
This is taking the pi**!!

These prices are getting closer to Black Hackney fares!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(23/02/2013 15:47)mathias Wrote:  

£2.10 Adult flat fare
£1.40 Child flat fare

True!

Couldn't agree more. Unless they start spreading the fare money more fairly and investing in better buses for more areas (not fancy Hybrids and Gas buses in the Wirral and Runcorn just to make Arriva look good...) people will start taxi sharing and alike to get to work. Luckily I use a Merseytravel Solo so don't get ripped off by these robbing bas***ds but I can see this deterring a lot of people away from the buses. I know it's only 10p but that all adds up, especially after such a large increase (particularly child fares) not even a year ago! Pathetic...

Justice is finally here. Rest In Peace the 96, You'll Never Walk Alone.

P309 HEM|N587 CKA|Y721 KNF|N302 CKB|X223 ANC
(23/02/2013 16:45)V671 DVU Wrote:  
(23/02/2013 15:47)mathias Wrote:  

£2.10 Adult flat fare
£1.40 Child flat fare

True!

Couldn't agree more. Unless they start spreading the fare money more fairly and investing in better buses for more areas (not fancy Hybrids and Gas buses in the Wirral and Runcorn just to make Arriva look good...) people will start taxi sharing and alike to get to work. Luckily I use a Merseytravel Solo so don't get ripped off by these robbing bas***ds but I can see this deterring a lot of people away from the buses. I know it's only 10p but that all adds up, especially after such a large increase (particularly child fares) not even a year ago! Pathetic...

No offence mate but I think theres an element of sour grapes here more than anything, if it was GL getting a number of Gas Buses for 8/9s for example, everything would be all good. You have to remember that barring last year, Green Lane has had significant and continued investment since 2008 when it has been called for, and nothing has yet come out to say that they will not receive new vehicles to replace Marshalls later in the year either.
With regards to fares, its inevitable they are going to rise in the current economic climate, but as long as theres people without their own method of transport that need to get to places, then buses are always going to be there, passengers are at the mercy of companies when it comes to fares. At the end of the day there will be a reason for the fare rises, and someone somewhere in a nice office in a tower block will be taking into consideration the same points raised here with regards to investment, services and value for money. They are a multi-national company, and as much as it may not seem like it, they do have some idea of what they are doing. For example local day tickets have been introduced, it was mentioned a few posts ago about a new one for Winsford for example, so this is where they are starting to try making their money. But if Arriva are having to put prices up like this to account for increasing costs, imagine how bad it is for smaller competitors!
The big question now is, with the mass influx of cheap buses, whether they be ex London or replaced as a result of Green bus funding for example, could we see more operators set up budget routes to compete with Arriva, or even companies set up with a sole purpose to offer a cheaper alternative? The Poundrider in Runcorn for example was a big success, Fairbrothers seem to be doing ok for themselves in Warrington considering they are only really still starting out on their routes, just goes to show there is demand for this sort of thing!

Edit: this isnt aimed at your or meant as a sly dig Luke, just making a point mate!

RIP 96 - YNWA
I do see you side of the point completely mate yeah! Just looking at it from the opinion of a regular passenger on the routes I use (7/8/9) which have been the home of cascades for a good few years now. The last investment on the 7 was 2000, 13 years ago in October! A proper investment on the 8/9 in the next few years will definitely keep passenger numbers up and I'm sure passengers would be willing to pay a premium for a slightly better service.
And yes I do see the reasons for an increase but I don't personally think it's the way forward for buses. As you say, cheap budget operations using slightly older buses (like Stagecoach Magic Bus for example) could work on a number of main corridors in Liverpool. Sadly it's not up Arriva's street but in this climate it might just work!

Justice is finally here. Rest In Peace the 96, You'll Never Walk Alone.

P309 HEM|N587 CKA|Y721 KNF|N302 CKB|X223 ANC
these prices are a joke, i hope the smaller companys make a move as there is no need for fares this high, if smaller companys do make a move i hope it shows arriva how perfetic the prices are

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
My mum has severe arthritis in her legs and so has difficulty walking she cant even walk up the stairs at home without crying out in pain so she uses the bus to get about but she doesnt qualify for her concessionary bus pass until september its a joke that people like my mum will have to pay £2.10 just to go a couple of stops up the road to get a bit of shopping or whatever. They should have a structured fare scheme where the amount paid depends on how far you travel.
That is way it used to be some years back, I do agree that a fare should relate to a distance travelled but unfortunately there are dishonest people in this world that would lie about how far they were going. Wouldnt surprise me if that was the reason the standard fare was brought in.
I notice too (regarding fares) in areas where there is a Merseytravel route providing a similar route to a commercial one (such as between Belle Vale and Halewood, Merseytravel/HTL routes 163/263 vs commercial Cumfybus 193) passengers do often wait to get the cheaper Merseytravel route even if it is less direct simply on the basis the fare is significantly lower.

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
You cant blame them either, the merseytravel fare is significantly lower than the commercial fare and the difference could buy somebody an extra loaf or couple of pints of milk especially if the merseytravel service is used both ways.
Merseytravel fares will soon be half the price of the commercial fare if they arent already.

Somebody with a bit more time on there hands could probably tell who has the cheapest and dearest commercial fares on Merseyside.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)