Current time: 19/04/2024, 07:13 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Businesses going bust
RE: Businesses going bust
A sad aspect of HMV going into administration is that some towns will no longer have any record shops, at least in the town centre. The more album tracks that are available on Youtube, the less need there will be for people to own CDs though.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
At this rate Town Centres will soon be available for Housing as no retailer will want to be on the high street .

Just look at Birkenhead and the amount of empty shops in the main retail areas.

The only retail developments that will survive this online attack is the retail parks where you can usually park your car in close comfort to the shops .

Retail Parks do have there pitfalls and at times of high demand parking can be very bad to the point of you driving around the car park before you can find an available parking space .
There are some business' that are not effected and can't be effected by the internet so would remain, eg Chemists, Hairdressers, Dentists and quite often clothing shops and shops selling art equipment or furnichure, as well as suppermarkets. What is key probably is to reduce teh size of town centres by moving stores around so properties on the edge can be demolished and redeveloped as work places or housing, as the Comercial shopping area's no longer need to be as big.

That way towns don't look run down. It may be a matter of reducing the size of many town centres by a third. City Centres like Manchester and Liverpool can probably find other uses for shops but towns and smaller Cities probably can't.
I would add that there is a disadvantage to technology that no body is saying about which can mean you could lose all your books certainly and possibly all your music collection, eg look how often computers have been upgarded and therefore if they aren't in material form it means much of the history of britian that is published would be lost if everything went into Kindle format, they aren't telling teh full truth and books would pritty quickly go out of print thats why I have avoided buying them.
Restructuring Company Hilco has agreed to buy HMV's debt , there could be some light at the end of the tunnel for this company after all.
I'm not sure how many Blockbuster stores they intend to keep, but I noticed the both the Orrell Park and Birkenhead branches today with closing down sales advertised.

3101(i) | 3305 | 3616 | 4012 | 4159 | 4100 | 4102 | 4118 | 4127 | 4475
313044 | 313064 | 313220 | 314206 | 314210 | 315809 | 315839 | 315857 | 507001 | 507002 | 507006 | 507008 | 507009 | 508114 | 508138 | 508208
(22/01/2013 23:28)507009 Wrote:  I'm not sure how many Blockbuster stores they intend to keep, but I noticed the both the Orrell Park and Birkenhead branches today with closing down sales advertised.

The store on westway in maghull square is also closing down.
am in college today in st helens so i will have a look at the one in the town centre

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Whats happening to HMV will happen to Blockbuster , there is still a market , not as big as it used to be , so it will probably be a paring down of the operation in size.
st helens blockbuster also to close. at this rate there will be no blockbuster at all

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)