Current time: 25/05/2024, 12:12 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MPTE Walrus Smart Card
RE: MPTE Walrus Smart Card
Most of the Merseyrail stations will soon have the technology introduced , it was being phased in with the buses being the first part of the jigsaw.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
The Walrus Card has been with us for some time now and Merseytravel is very keen to promote it. Unfortunately, what it is reluctant to do is admit that the software on Arriva's buses is faulty and that passengers are frequently denied the right to board because the reader indicates that the Walrus card has expired when it clearly hasn't.

This happened to a relative of mine today. He attempted to use a Walrus card on the 47 service from Southport but after three attempts to scan his card the driver insisted that he must get off the bus because his card was invalid despite being shown a receipt as proof of purchase. Fortunately, a Stagecoach X2 arrived five minutes later and the reader on this bus accepted the card without any problem.

When my brother-in-law contacted Merseytravel, he was given an immediate apology and informed that Merseytravel were aware of this problem and had already received "over 30000 complaints" regarding faulty readers on Arriva vehicles. He was also told that Stagecoach use different/better software in their ticket machines and it is not an issue with them. I wonder if anybody has had a similar experience?
(25/09/2015 17:20)Barney Wrote:  I wonder if anybody has had a similar experience?

On Arriva buses, I do tend to get an amber light and the message "No journeys remaining" or something like that, and then a red light after the driver has pressed some buttons, but I've not been refused travel to date. I did take it in to the Merseytravel centre today to ask if the above meant there was something wrong with it, and the lady there confirmed that it was activated and has over 2 weeks remaining; she said they'd been inundated with complaints, and that the main problem was that "some drivers don't realise they have to scroll down". I've never used that type of ticket machine, so I don't really understand what that means (possibly that they have to scroll down to see the expiry date on screen?), but presumably your brother-in-law encountered such a driver.

I do hope that the software is upgraded soon, because even though I've always been able to travel, it's still a bit disconcerting to see red lights, negative messages and several seconds' pause.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(25/09/2015 18:42)Quackdave Wrote:  On Arriva buses, I do tend to get an amber light and the message "No journeys remaining" or something like that, and then a red light after the driver has pressed some buttons, but I've not been refused travel to date. I did take it in to the Merseytravel centre today to ask if the above meant there was something wrong with it, and the lady there confirmed that it was activated and has over 2 weeks remaining; she said they'd been inundated with complaints, and that the main problem was that "some drivers don't realise they have to scroll down". I've never used that type of ticket machine, so I don't really understand what that means (possibly that they have to scroll down to see the expiry date on screen?), but presumably your brother-in-law encountered such a driver.

I do hope that the software is upgraded soon, because even though I've always been able to travel, it's still a bit disconcerting to see red lights, negative messages and several seconds' pause.

Clearly there is a problem. My brother-in-law has a very relaxed personality and avoids confrontation at all costs but I do wonder what may happen if this situation occurs with a more volatile personality. Bus drivers have a difficult enough job at the best of times but if they are having to deal with faulty card readers on the last bus of the day this can only lead to bigger problems.
There is still no readers on a vast majority of Merseyrail stations .

Full implementation of Walrus can not take place till they have been done .
(26/09/2015 14:08)wirralbus Wrote:  There is still no readers on a vast majority of Merseyrail stations .

Full implementation of Walrus can not take place till they have been done .

My post was regarding the issue of faulty readers and the prospect of being denied the right to board a bus. The lack of a reader at every station is irrelevant to my point.
(26/09/2015 19:43)Barney Wrote:  My post was regarding the issue of faulty readers and the prospect of being denied the right to board a bus. The lack of a reader at every station is irrelevant to my point.

no but the system is being brought in ad hoc as walrus cards can not be counted at merseyrail stations whether they be Merseyrail or Northern stations , so we could sort of see the same problems your friend is having with arriva happening on merseyrail stations when it gets released to the railway stations.

Being honest all the bus companies should have been forced by Merseytravel to use the same technology , not use a hotchpotch of differing ticket machines.
(26/09/2015 20:37)wirralbus Wrote:  no but the system is being brought in ad hoc as walrus cards can not be counted at merseyrail stations whether they be Merseyrail or Northern stations , so we could sort of see the same problems your friend is having with arriva happening on merseyrail stations when it gets released to the railway stations.

Being honest all the bus companies should have been forced by Merseytravel to use the same technology , not use a hotchpotch of differing ticket machines.

If and when the card readers are introduced at all Merseyrail stations - many of which will be unmanned - there won't be any physical barrier to the platform and I hardly think that the driver is going to leap out of his seat to check the validity of the Walrus cards of all the intending passengers.

Also, since 1986 Merseytravel has very limited control or influence over how private bus companies operate within this area. As far as I am aware, London is the only bus operating area where the local Executive has the power to "force" bus companies to do anything.
(27/09/2015 08:39)Barney Wrote:  If and when the card readers are introduced at all Merseyrail stations - many of which will be unmanned - there won't be any physical barrier to the platform and I hardly think that the driver is going to leap out of his seat to check the validity of the Walrus cards of all the intending passengers.

Also, since 1986 Merseytravel has very limited control or influence over how private bus companies operate within this area. As far as I am aware, London is the only bus operating area where the local Executive has the power to "force" bus companies to do anything.

There is going to be a change to the Transport Act coming up in this parliament which may very well change the way buses are going to be run , its a case of watch this space , wasn't Tyne and Wear going to be the test bed.
(25/09/2015 17:20)Barney Wrote:  the driver insisted that he must get off the bus because his card was invalid despite being shown a receipt as proof of purchase

This is wrong and reading through some complaints on Twitter a number of arriva drivers do this. At stagecoach we have been given booklets produced in house to understand the error messages, and have been told if the machine will not accept the card, to ask for a receipt. If a receipt is provided and the date time and zone are all valid, and the card number matches the receipt, to accept travel.

If no receipt is provided, or receipt doesn't match card, or product is proved expired, then charge standard fare or deny travel if they refuse.

There seems to be an issue with newsagents topping up, as the cards sometimes come up as corrupt or in valid despite receipt proving otherwise

I am no longer active on this forum.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)