Current time: 06/05/2024, 06:08 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MPTE Walrus Smart Card
RE: MPTE Walrus Smart Card
I'll purchase one when I come back to Merseyside in 2 years, but I'll investigate if Merseytravel will post one to me in Australia or to my Nan in Bromborough! My local bus company in Canberra has a smart-card system called MyWay (much cheaper than paying cash (AU$2.20 single with it or AU$4.50 cash) I have one of these cards and I also have a Myki card for Melbourne (used on Buses, Trains and the Tram network there!)

I collect old Merseytravel/rail timetables and maps, I am also a photographer.
I live in Australia as a Dual Australian/British Citizen.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Wonder how long it'll be before they introduce pay as you go walruses like oysters, where you pay on each trip but it caps the cost at the price of a day travelcard (saveaway in out case) for the relevant zones travelled in?

I am no longer active on this forum.
I think that may happen once the railway stations are fully wired up for Walrus .
How will the new walrus cards be used on the train currently?

I am no longer active on this forum.
The Barriered stations will already have the facility attached to the barriers in them locations , its the station without barriers that will need readers fitting.

Its the same sort of technology that's in use already with the NCTS for senior and disabled people.
(24/11/2014 11:53)R879 HRF Wrote:  Wonder how long it'll be before they introduce pay as you go walruses like oysters, where you pay on each trip but it caps the cost at the price of a day travelcard (saveaway in out case) for the relevant zones travelled in?

You can just board the train and show the Walrus at stations without barriers, you'll be able to get Arriva/Stagecoach day tickets on them as well as pay and go onwards from March next year. That's the plan anyway.

busambassador on Instagram, Flickr & TikTok | Merseyside Buses on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
An electronic version of the saveaway will be available on Walrus Cards from Monday 9th March in all areas that the saveaway is presently available to use in , presently the electronic only version of the saveaway has been available on The Wirral since November.

Interesting times ahead , this is the start of a phased introduction of more products on to the Walrus Card.
If i remember right you will still be able to buy Paper Saveaways from Railway Stations as well?

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(14/02/2015 23:42)bolton bus basher Wrote:  If i remember right you will still be able to buy Paper Saveaways from Railway Stations as well?

Once the technology has been introduced to stations then the paper ticket version will be replaced also by the electronic walrus version , but no definite date is set for that yet.
It's the scratch version being replaced first. The paper version that you'd buy at Chester station for example will take a lot longer to replace. There's been no mention of having walrus technology introduced at Chester station as yet.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)