Current time: 06/05/2024, 03:55 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MPTE Walrus Smart Card
RE: MPTE Walrus Smart Card
Forum members will be pleased to note that a Pay and Go WALRUS is definitely on the way.

"ITSO Validators" for such a scheme, which are placed on stations and gatelines, in order to identify the start/end point of a journey, have been ordered for Merseyrail and Northern. £120,000 going into Merseyrail stations and £90,000 into Northern. There is now an aspiration to gate as many stations in Merseyside where it is likely to be "financially viable".

Lime Street mainline platforms (1-6) will be getting gated this year, and all "local" trains will be scheduled to depart from these platforms.

Merseytravel will be increasing the frequency of revenue protection exercises conducted within Merseyside, specifically on tendered bus services, (particularly on some smaller operators were staff fraud is high).

I would encourage forum members to become active in your community with regards to public transport. The Merseytravel Strategy and Finance Committee is primarily responsible for the smart card development, and do review and consider all comments received. These comments are discussed at monthly meetings with operator representitives, Councillors, semior management and occasionally DfT reps.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(04/01/2013 21:42)First Class Wrote:  Forum members will be pleased to note that a Pay and Go WALRUS is definitely on the way.

"ITSO Validators" for such a scheme, which are placed on stations and gatelines, in order to identify the start/end point of a journey, have been ordered for Merseyrail and Northern. £120,000 going into Merseyrail stations and £90,000 into Northern. There is now an aspiration to gate as many stations in Merseyside where it is likely to be "financially viable".

Lime Street mainline platforms (1-6) will be getting gated this year, and all "local" trains will be scheduled to depart from these platforms.

Merseytravel will be increasing the frequency of revenue protection exercises conducted within Merseyside, specifically on tendered bus services, (particularly on some smaller operators were staff fraud is high).

I would encourage forum members to become active in your community with regards to public transport. The Merseytravel Strategy and Finance Committee is primarily responsible for the smart card development, and do review and consider all comments received. These comments are discussed at monthly meetings with operator representitives, Councillors, semior management and occasionally DfT reps.

That is good to hear, thanks for the info!

I am no longer active on this forum.
Have they slowed down the implementation on the stations though as the cabling for the readers went in ages ago but nothing has been done for a while now with regards the readers .
(04/01/2013 21:57)wirralbus Wrote:  Have they slowed down the implementation on the stations though as the cabling for the readers went in ages ago but nothing has been done for a while now with regards the readers .

There is a long waiting list for the iSAM chips I mentioned earlier in the thread.

Each validator requires an iSAM and a secure, reliable network connection.

The actual hardware, minus the iSAMs are boxed up in an office somewhere in Liverpool City Centre.

[Image: 4962579183_6522d9049a.jpg]
whats going on with the walrus card, has it been scrapped? i havent heard anything about it for a while and theres nothing on the Merseytravel website about it

Follow me on flickr
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Article from April.

http://www.transport-network.co.uk/Walru...h-_85LDyuo
Merseytravel and there projects always seem to get bogged down for some reason , just remember Merseytram.
walrus smartcard
Hello, does anyone know when the MPTE walrus smartcard will finally be on sale? Thanks
Last night driving the 147, for the first time I've noticed someone actually used a Walrus card!

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
I don't have an awful lot of time to go into detail but... It has been confirmed that the Wirral will be the first place the Walrus will be rolled out including up to Ellesmere Port & Chester on Merseyrail. Starting with the replacement of scratch off and paper Saveaways to the smartcard version near October 2014. Shops, libraries and travel centres gaining readers to load them with products. The entire roll out of Walrus looks set to continue throughout 2015 and possibly into early 2016.

busambassador on Instagram, Flickr & TikTok | Merseyside Buses on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)