Current time: 25/04/2024, 11:26 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

London Overground
London Overground
The newest line in the UK opened today with the LOROL extension from Surrey Quays to Clapham Junction.

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: London Overground
It means that a few stations like Wandsworth Road and Clapham High Street no longer have through services to central London termini at London Bridge or Victoria. I reckon on riding it next time I do some central London bus routes, which I expect to be next October.
LOROL are looking at the possibility of extending Class 378 trains to five car. SDO would require to be fitted as some platforms cannot be lengthened.

In a change of plan, I am now dong central London on Easter Monday. I shall ride the new Surrey Quays - Clapham Junction service then. No need to wait for October anymore!
Rode the South London Line from Clapham Junction to Surrey Quays and return yesterday. I had not planned to ride it but 378209 which I needed to ride was on it.
The new piece of line passes Millwall Football Ground.

Transport for London have approved a £320M funding for the following:-
Extension of the 57 4 car Class 378 to 5 cars.
Purchase of an additional two Class 378 5 car units
The first carriages for the extended units will be delivered in 2014 for use on the East London Line and the balance to be delivered in 2015.
Lengthening of platforms where possible is to be undertaken with extensions up to six cars proposed.
Serious overcrowding on trains has prompted this action.

I wasn't sure whether some of the ex-ELL stations could accommodate trains longer than 4 carriages. I mean Shadell, Wapping, Rotherhithe and Surrey Quays ex-Docks in particular. Memory like a sieve, I don't recall exactly when Surrey Docks was renamed Surrey Quays!
London Overground are negotiating with Bombardier and QW Leasing to supply 57 additional Class 378 carriages to extend the current fleet to five carriages. In addition another 5 x 5 car Class 378 (378258-62) is being sought. The extended fleet will require extensions to both New Cross Gate and Willesden depots, and additional stabling at Willesden and Silwood.

Heard somewhere that LOROL will ourchase and refurbish all of the withdrawn 508's in london due to the demand of trains
(21/03/2013 21:43)507 mad Wrote:  Heard somewhere that LOROL will ourchase and refurbish all of the withdrawn 508's in london due to the demand of trains

Yeh I came across this rumour too. Maybe they would operate the Euston-Watford service which was reported to be getting some once before.

By the way, I think my Easter ride on London Overground to Clapham Junction is off, as I have so many northern central bus routes to ride. I shall have more buses to ride there next year, such as imminent E400Hs on route 87 and new red-seated buses with Abellio on route C3.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)