Current time: 26/04/2024, 09:48 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Glenvale Transport
RE: GTL
The Metrobuses set the tone for what was to come. GTL couldn't survive on their revenue coming from the Kirkby area services they were left with, so they joined the rat-runs on most of the big routes into the city centre.

Maybe another minor miracle was in the offering, because their purchase of CMT was a huge feather in the cap. CMT's fleet, at the time, was very modern - they were making money generally at Arriva's expense, but they had their own routes.

What went wrong? There was no lack of ambition at GTL, Brady and Campbell had previously demonstrated their business prowess at MTL, but the fleet was elderly, money was tight, and some staff were robbing the company blind. Remember too that Arriva's three-year ban on competing with GTL ended in 2004, so they were potentially getting the backlash from the larger company running similar routes?

The Beatles, Fountains Of Wayne, XTC, The Who, ELO

Power Pop For All
[font=Impact][/font]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
With GTL, as well as the staff allegedly thieving, they were basically met with the problem of lots of their fleet all getting old together and not being able to replace with vehicles that were a lot more modern, an issue that seen quite a few smaller companies fold.
Find all posts by this user
GTL did give it a good go though, they took what they could and they attacked in all sort of directions.

GTL were big on fleet replacement, they were one of the first operators on merseyside to use LED displays in their Volvo B6/Dennis Dart stock, as well as buses like the metroline darts, the ensign paladins and the stagecoach B6's and Darts came en mass! When stagecoach did finally take over, only 3 metrobuses remained in the fleet at that point.
Some of these buses were under 10 years old themselves at the time of purchase, all under 15.

I think they just got too big too quickly, but in a sence, they needed to with arriva creating routes such as the 20. They hit back with routes like the 81 and 361 but ran into difficulties regarless, very few would dare attempt that nowheredays! They were probably the last of the "proper" independents on Merseyside to say the least!
GTL buses that became perminant stagecoach fleet buses in other fleets, and gilmoss were at the time:
- Optare Solo's
- Leyland titans
- Alexander Striders
- Plaxton Paladins both CMT and GTL ones (L119HHV has only recently been stored)
- Marshall Capitals
- Volvo Renowns and Liberators
- Volvo Endurances

Lets face it, There was very little else GTL had that they were able to sell on, with the acceptions of a few escaped titans, darts, and B6's
(16/12/2012 11:09)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  GTL did give it a good go though, they took what they could and they attacked in all sort of directions.

Lets face it, There was very little else GTL had that they were able to sell on, with the acceptions of a few escaped titans, darts, and B6's
That's just a load of hot air, GTL the last "proper" independent? so yeah no ambition and their staff robbing basically any income possible, yeah okay "proper" crap is more like it Sleepy. Proper independents are companies like HTL.
(05/03/2013 14:15)Vincent Vega Wrote:  
(16/12/2012 11:09)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  GTL did give it a good go though, they took what they could and they attacked in all sort of directions.

That's just a load of hot air, GTL the last "proper" independent? so yeah no ambition and their staff robbing basically any income possible, yeah okay "proper" crap is more like it Sleepy. Proper independents are companies like HTL.

Seem to remember GTL had a quarter of their fleet ordered off the Road, because they were so unroadworthy, so GTL brought in second hand B6s from Stagecoach as replacements which were completely inadequate for the routes they went on. The new buses GTL had were ones from CMT when they brought CMT. GTL had the feel & look of cowboy operator until Stagecoach brought GTL[& i'm not af fanboy of any operator, just saying it as i see it].

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(08/04/2013 10:14)MTL0201 Wrote:  

Seem to remember GTL had a quarter of their fleet ordered off the Road, because they were so unroadworthy, so GTL brought in second hand B6s from Stagecoach as replacements which were completely inadequate for the routes they went on. The new buses GTL had were ones from CMT when they brought CMT. GTL had the feel & look of cowboy operator until Stagecoach brought GTL[& i'm not af fanboy of any operator, just saying it as i see it].

That's what I thought as well, as well as B6's some unrefurbished titans that were also on their last legs were also brought in. Remember as well as when GTL took over they were handed all those ancient metrobuses from Arriva that were working down south as well. When stagecoch took over, they found some newer buses in bits that GTL couldnt afford to repair, Stagecoach of course rebulit them. To be fair though, the B6' that were seen as inadequate were replaced by darts that were equally inadequate for some of the routes they operated. Stagecoach though have done a fine job overall.
(08/04/2013 13:55)MPTE1955 Wrote:  
(08/04/2013 10:14)MTL0201 Wrote:  
(05/03/2013 14:15)Vincent Vega Wrote:  That's just a load of hot air, GTL the last "proper" independent? so yeah no ambition and their staff robbing basically any income possible, yeah okay "proper" crap is more like it Sleepy. Proper independents are companies like HTL.

That's what I thought as well, as well as B6's some unrefurbished titans that were also on their last legs were also brought in. Remember as well as when GTL took over they were handed all those ancient metrobuses from Arriva that were working down south as well. When stagecoch took over, they found some newer buses in bits that GTL couldnt afford to repair, Stagecoach of course rebulit them.

GTL were certainly not able to repair one of CMT's Volvos (CMT Buses 2028, later to become Stagecoach 21068). In fact, the bus remained in CMT's livery until Stagecoach took over!....

http://www.flickr.com/photos/87720446@N06/8474693874/
(Photo Credit; Gillmoss Titan)

GTL were cowboys, and the poor bus had to be completely gutted and repaired at Carlisle..(-note the side destination still displays '102' )....
http://www.flickr.com/photos/23207961@N07/8609453038/
(Photo Credit; bkp550)

I wouldn't call HTL a proper independent bus company to be honest. To be fair main reason I liked GTL was fleet variety + basically living on the 100&200 - Excels Solos & Metroriders Weren't a bad bunch. So surprising the difference made between Stagecoach & GTL - A HUGE difference , however having to stand on a overcrowded Dart or Sitting on a Titan = very interesting verdict

Been hating Urban 90's since 2001Dodgy
But not all drivers at GTL where robbing the company blind as i for one use to drive for GTL at the aintree depot (cmt depot) and really enjoyed my time there and if they where still going today i would of still been there but i ended up leaving a month after stagecoach took over and ended up working for supertravel for 12 months before coming back to arriva.
GTL was only bought because they thought they could build it up and sell it on at a profit but it didnt turn out right for them as goahead was on the verge of buying GTL then stagecoach stepped in and ended up snatching it from under goaheads noses on the last minute.
Glenvale Transport
It's been reported that former Glenvale Transport (new to ABC Travel) DAF SB220 N600 ABC has been preserved. Excellent news

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)