Current time: 01/05/2024, 15:46 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Bring Back The 620 St Helens to Bolton Arriva Service
Bring Back The 620 St Helens to Bolton Arriva Service
Some time ago, Terrance price, we all know Terrance launched an online campaign to bring back the former Blue Bus/ Arriva 620 service Bolton to St Helens Route. Terrance has done incredibly well with this, since he started his campaign. So much so his campaign made it into the local paper

Here is the article

http://www.sthelensstar.co.uk/news/99019..._the_road/

Im posting because i believe in credit where its due for standing up for what you believe in

Sign the petition

http://www.change.org/petitions/arriva-b...-to-bolton
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Bring Back The 620 St Helens to Bolton Arriva Service
I'm not being funny, but there is no hope of Terence getting the service reinstated, especially with so few signatures.

Even reading between the lines of the articles, its clear they don't believe it has a chance either (but they've jumped at a chance to fill print space)
Find all posts by this user
Like I said previously, there was a reason the 620 was withdrawn - in reality it carried few people for the full length of the journey and other links were possible via changing buses albeit making the journey longer. As for the current 620, well past Ashton there's just a minority of people actually using it.

I think what needs to be remembered is that a company wouldn't curtail a route which was bringing them in a return. The 620 only exists in its current form due to subsidy. If it was considered 'socially necessary' for there to be a full link through to Bolton, it would no doubt already be there. At a time when all PTEs are trying to make cuts and subsidy seems the only realistic way for this kind of link being re-instated, I'm sorry but I just don't see it hapenning!

I also couldn't help but notice that a number of the people who've signed the petition are from outside the area and so very unlikely to regularly, if at all, make use of the service. It's hardly reflective of a regular passenger base. The first comment on the article pretty much sums it up for me.

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]
I agree the first couple of lines on the article do pretty much sum it up, low useage of the service, this means no money in it so why run it commercially. I didnt bother signing the petition as it is simply a service I would not be likely to use.
If it was so un-viable, why did Blue Bus run it successfully for so many years and also why did Arriva upon takeover increase the frequency to every 30 minutes. Dosen't help at the moment the fact it only runs as far as Hindley Green, thus creating quite hap hazard connections at Hindley. I think another kiss of death to the route was the transfer from Bolton to St Helens depot. When this has happened with other routes, it has signalled a reduction/withdrawal. One example being the X4 (St Helens - Warrington - Trafford Centre) which was run by Warrington depot before that depot closed - the route got good enough loads enough to increase the capacity from a single deck Tiger to double deck Olympian. Not bad for a time before the National Concessionary Passes. When transferred, the service was re-routed and reduced to running 1 day a week eventually being withdrawn.
the reason blue bus done well is because they had it fully low floor,when st helens took over they put stepped volvo B6's on it,with first bus fares being higher then arriva it could take a bit of custom off them which could bring in more revenue between hindley -atherton-bolton,but thats a big "IF" as 320 lately as seen an increase in passenger numbers as passengers are stating they regret paying the price first are charging.
I know MM. It's the same on the 34 between Lowton & Leigh - First charge £3.10 and Arriva £2.10.
£3.10?!!! That's robbery!
(10/10/2012 08:48)St Helens Rider Wrote:  I kn:P:Pow MM. It's the same on the 34 between Lowton & Leigh - First charge £3.10 and Arriva £2.10.

its only £2 on the 34 lol.
I knew it was something like that. Although the fare from the boundary is £2.60 which is a big difference for not much extra distance.

Apologies by the way for drifting a little off topic.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)