Current time: 20/04/2024, 01:37 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Route History
RE: Route History
Just been looking at my Wirral 1977 timetable book and I've noticed at this point, the 3 only ran between Seacombe and Moreton. Any ideas as to when it was extended to Birkenhead?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(12/12/2020 14:52)Liamkennedy2231 Wrote:  Would anyone happen to know anything about the old 32A service running between Widnes and Liverpool please? Think it may have operated until about 2013 and was operated by Merseypride Travel under contract to Halton Borough Council

It was the 32 and later 82B (a few years after the arriva re-numbering of North Western services). The 32A was short Runcorn to Airport services operated by North Western/Arriva when the 32 (Runcorn to Airport) and 82A (Liverpool to Airport) were combined to form the near-current 82A Liverpool to Murdishaw Service.

It was completely commercial and followed pretty much the same route as the 82A (not calling at the Airport) between Widnes Green Oaks and Aigburth Vale and then follows the 82 between Aigburth Vale and Elliot Street. There were also shorter Liverpool to Speke journeys in which the bus would terminate at Speke Eastern Avenue and move in order to run a school service/driver meal breaks (and at one point Garston for the same reason)

Originally the route served PSBS before terminating at the old ‘Speke’ stop on Charlotte Street where the Halewood services now call (outside Boots/Clayton Square). During the Lime Street remodelling this was moved to Lime Street with morning peak services calling to Dale Street in competition with the Arriva 82D
(13/12/2020 14:50)Walton 46 Wrote:  Just been looking at my Wirral 1977 timetable book and I've noticed at this point, the 3 only ran between Seacombe and Moreton. Any ideas as to when it was extended to Birkenhead?

Struggling to be precise on this. I think in 1977, the Woodside To Moreton Shore route still had number 77 inherited from Birkenhead Corp. At some point, and im pretty certain it was before 1980,there was a major shakedown of Wirral services, and the Crosville Heswall to Woodside via Storeton F24 was renumbered 77.At the same time the 3 and 77 combined as the 3.
In January 2013, Arriva began operating a number of early morning/late evening services serving Jaguar Land Rover funded by Merseytravel and the DfT. Services as follows:

J1: Prescot - Dragon Lane - Huyton Bus Station - Belle Vale - Halewood - Jaguar Land Rover
J2: Tower Hill - Kirkby Civic Centre - Broad Lane - Knowsley Expressway - Jaguar Lane Rover
J3: Bootle - Queens Drive - Woolton Road - Hunts Cross - Jaguar Land Rover
J4: Liverpool ONE - Smithdown Road - Mather Avenue - Liverpool South Parkway - Speke Boulevard - Jaguar Land Rover
J5: Jaguar Land Rover - Knowsley Expressway - Dragon Lane - Prescot - M57 - Broad Lane - Kirkby Civic Centre - Tower Hill

Any ideas how long these services lasted for?
Was around 6 months, I used to catch the J5 regularly from Prescot/Whiston into Kirkby since it was weird being able to do a route like that

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
April 1979 were the changes on the Wirral.

The 3 merged with the Birkenhead 77which was Woodside-Moreton Shore, to become 3 Seacombe-Woodside.

All the Crosville routes solely operating on the Wirral got changed from F series to 72 to 89, the PTE 28 was extended both directions to become West Kirby-Mill Park, 7/8 were extended to become New Brighton-Newton, 7/8/28 replaced the Crosville F34/F37/F38/F39.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(13/12/2020 20:58)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  It was the 32 and later 82B (a few years after the arriva re-numbering of North Western services). The 32A was short Runcorn to Airport services operated by North Western/Arriva when the 32 (Runcorn to Airport) and 82A (Liverpool to Airport) were combined to form the near-current 82A Liverpool to Murdishaw Service.

It was completely commercial and followed pretty much the same route as the 82A (not calling at the Airport) between Widnes Green Oaks and Aigburth Vale and then follows the 82 between Aigburth Vale and Elliot Street. There were also shorter Liverpool to Speke journeys in which the bus would terminate at Speke Eastern Avenue and move in order to run a school service/driver meal breaks (and at one point Garston for the same reason)

Originally the route served PSBS before terminating at the old ‘Speke’ stop on Charlotte Street where the Halewood services now call (outside Boots/Clayton Square). During the Lime Street remodelling this was moved to Lime Street with morning peak services calling to Dale Street in competition with the Arriva 82D

Cheers for that, I vaguely remember this but just wasn't sure.

I do remember there being the Eastern Ave terminus in Speke before the Morrisons was built - I believe the stops are still there
Just had a look on Google Street View and the stop outside the shops/chippy on Eastern Avenue is still there. Just wondering does anything actually serve it since the main Arriva routes go along Millwood Road to Morrisons now? There's probably a few stops on Merseyside still knocking around and being maintained which don't have any actual services using them.
(31/12/2020 07:00)Gillmoss 0324 Wrote:  Just had a look on Google Street View and the stop outside the shops/chippy on Eastern Avenue is still there. Just wondering does anything actually serve it since the main Arriva routes go along Millwood Road to Morrisons now? There's probably a few stops on Merseyside still knocking around and being maintained which don't have any actual services using them.

Looking at the map, nothing serves the old Eastern Avenue stop opposite the Orient pub, think the old 211 Speke Circular might have stopped there after all routes were diverted to Morrisons, but nothing stops there now, don't think any school services stop there either.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(31/12/2020 14:23)MTL0201 Wrote:  Looking at the map, nothing serves the old Eastern Avenue stop opposite the Orient pub, think the old 211 Speke Circular might have stopped there after all routes were diverted to Morrisons, but nothing stops there now, don't think any school services stop there either.

Nope nothing stops there, 211 didn't either as it went straight across the junction of Eastern Avenue coming from Morrisons. I think maybe the 201 hospital shuttle did some years back even after buses were diverted to Morrisons.

Bus Stop is seemingly used as a chippy car park now!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)