Current time: 20/04/2024, 06:59 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Should rail be re-nationalised?
This poll is closed.
Yes 58.82% 10 58.82%
No 41.18% 7 41.18%
Total 17 votes 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Rail Franchising - The Future
RE: Rail Franchising - The Future
I think all franchises need to be long term. Merseyrail are doing in my opinion a great job. The serco-Ned rail (abellio) partnership has shown some significant investment at this midway stage in the franchise. I would be suprised if merseyrail went back to the state. However, I do feel that the wcml will be under dor for a while to come...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
I was listening to the Transport Minister in the Scottish Parliament and he said that his department in Scotland is not given any say in the WCML or ECML franchise , its all decided by Whitehall Mandarins.
Now, look what the DfT registered on the 28/09/2012:

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/543b4d...ompdetails

WEST COAST MAIN LINE COMPANY LIMITED
4TH FLOOR
ONE KEMBLE STREET
LONDON
WC2B 4AN

So things are definitely starting to point at Directly Operated Railways...
i have heard that Virgin may be asked to operate for one railway period to help out the DfT , this one railway operating period would move the franchise out of virgin's hands on or around 6th January 2013 , this is far from gospel at this moment .
(09/10/2012 13:30)First Class Wrote:  Now, look what the DfT registered on the 28/09/2012:

http://wck2.companieshouse.gov.uk/543b4d...ompdetails

WEST COAST MAIN LINE COMPANY LIMITED
4TH FLOOR
ONE KEMBLE STREET
LONDON
WC2B 4AN

So things are definitely starting to point at Directly Operated Railways...

And what was the state of play on 28th September?
First were going to take over, but might not have been able to on 8th Dec because of the Judicial Review, so DOR was mobilised.

Things have changed significantly since then and DoR are nowhere near ready to mobilise now.
As I've said before, there is no legal option other than for DOR to take over UNLESS they somehow manage to pass a new Act of Parliament in a few months that repeals part of the existing Railway Act 1993/2005.

They can't subcontract it to Virgin as an OLR, especially as it has now been revealed that Virgin's bid was dodgy too and could/would have bankrupted them.

You really think they didn't know it was messed up before 28/9? They had been planning DOR since it was leaked.
You would think that as the operator of last resort Directly Operated Railways could just take over at the end of this present franchise period.

If this franchise which it isnt had gone bankrupt who would have taken over this franchise if you say it couldnt possibly be operated by DOR in the time scale given , good question.
Earl Attlee (Whip, House of Lords; Conservative) has confirmed that DOR is being mobilised during a Lords Debate.
Rumours suggest Virgin are set to be granted a management contract, allowing them to continue operations until March 2013.

During that time they must de-brand the network and prepare to handover to Directly Operated Railways who are expected to run the franchise until May 2015 by which time the franchising mess will be sorted out.

Lawyers have warned the DfT it could be in breach of European competition or procurement law if it hands Virgin a new franchise/extension.

The main problem is that the influential industry managers seemingly want nothing to do with a DfT subsidiary and would rather stay with their privatised companies.

We'll find out this lunchtime during PM's questions.
I'm led to believe the RMT and First Group are seperately looking at legal challenges to the awarding of this management contract if it goes ahead.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)