Current time: 03/05/2024, 15:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseyrail
RE: Merseyrail
(20/07/2014 21:14)507009 Wrote:  Can't say I do remember 2006 Wirralbus, although I did go to the Open that Sunday. Must've been lucky back then!

One question mark today though, especially if there was nothing else spare on the Wirral Line, was why they bothered forming the Ellesmere Ports of six cars in the first place. This is major over-provision and they were running close to empty throughout the day. If they'd held the three additional units back, perhaps they could've replaced the stricken 508111/115 set quicker, without also disrupting the Hooton line.

One of the Chester trains was also a three car on Saturday (508114) which led to a lot of overcrowding on this particular diagram.

The unit that 508114 was working with was 507017 which was removed from it at Hooton.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(20/07/2014 19:52)507009 Wrote:  You've got to be joking! I was on the failed train which was formed of 508115 and 508111, the former of which failed. The delay was about an hour in total, including a stoppage between Manor Road and Meols of something like 50 minutes in sweltering conditions.

There were only two announcements from the guard in the 50 minute period, the first of which implied they were fault finding (fair enough) and the second saying the fault finding had failed and they required a further six car to assist our stricken unit. We were told there would be detonators going off and not to worry. After another long wait, this did not happen: 508111 hauled a dead 508115 into Meols where we were binned off. So, we were told both not enough and incorrect information.

As I type this, services are still far from restored. There are multiple cancellations listed on RTT. Incredibly unfortunate that 508115 chose the single worst moment to give up the ghost.

Regarding the incorrect information, you had fitters with you at the train so I suspect the original plan was to use an assisting train, then the fitters managed to restore some of the trains functions (ability to release brakes) so it was decided to move the train under its own power.

Interestingly, once the trains got moving again a few ran in service from Hoylake into Liverpool then ran empty back to Hoylake to deal with the crowds.
Nice quiet day for Merseyrail..!

View my flickr http://m.flickr.com/#/photos/104753198@N08/ my flickr account.
Well not really , I think its been a busy day for all lines on the Merseyrail network .

All Chester diagrams have been six coaches , All Southport services should have been six cars but can not confirm whether that happened .
Nice tongue in cheek comment 437! I thought Merseyrail communications were superb, particularly on social media like Twitter, directing passengers to different stations and giving continuous updates to those 'connected' (which is a lot of people these days)
At start of service yesterday all but one of the Southport circuits was 6 car, not sure if it was strengthened during the day. Agree about the twitter presence, it was excellent considering the circumstances.

Day 2 and all Southport and Chester circuits are again 6 cars with all other lines 3 cars. Considering they struggled to cope with the numbers yesterday, I can only imagine today will be even more difficult.
Having just gone through all the twitter feed it sounds like Merseyrail was twittering quite regularly about disruption which is inevitable considering the amount of passengers travelling yesterday.
Think we need to ask some serious questions about Merseyrail. Now before the questions, i do feel that they did a reasonable a job, considering the amount of people using the train over the weekend. It was estimated between 125,000 - 150,000 people used the train on Saturday. But some decisions where barmy and

The lack of rolling stock? We should have taken back Our original 508's from down south when available and refurbished them in 2006 to add some additional capacity.

The idea to close James Street station during the busiest periods over the weekend? Prior to the last Matthew Street festival. James Street was open for previous matthew street festivals to good effect. This allows quick and easy access to the strand and waterfront. To get to the waterfront from central is difficult for people with mobility problems and also creates excessive Q,s as all customers use one station as opposed to 4.

The whole idea of the loop is that it spreads people out to different stations..

When we finally replace the rolling stock, we need to increase the overall capacity of the network, both for existing use and also for growth if the network expands.

What are your thoughts?

(27/07/2014 20:55)WAITING FOR THE 437 Wrote:  Think we need to ask some serious questions about Merseyrail. Now before the questions, i do feel that they did a reasonable a job, considering the amount of people using the train over the weekend. It was estimated between 125,000 - 150,000 people used the train on Saturday. But some decisions where barmy and

The lack of rolling stock? We should have taken back Our original 508's from down south when available and refurbished them in 2006 to add some additional capacity.

The idea to close James Street station during the busiest periods over the weekend? Prior to the last Matthew Street festival. James Street was open for previous matthew street festivals to good effect. This allows quick and easy access to the strand and waterfront. To get to the waterfront from central is difficult for people with mobility problems and also creates excessive Q,s as all customers use one station as opposed to 4.

The whole idea of the loop is that it spreads people out to different stations..

When we finally replace the rolling stock, we need to increase the overall capacity of the network, both for existing use and also for growth if the network expands.

What are your thoughts?

Broadly agree with you on the points you've raised.

However i fully back the decision to close James Street. Having had the misfortune to work there during the height of the Matthew Street drinkfest the station is simply too small to cope with increased passenger numbers during big events. There's no effective way of initiating a queuing system there as was shown by a couple of accidents outside during previous events.
Indeed it was the final decision by BTP that resulted in the station being closed during major events,a decision that remains to this day.

Basically i think the Giants were always going to bring massive crowds,overcrowded trains and the usual complaints! Overall i think it was handled very well.
Fair comment IS1911.

I was unaware of those incidents that you raise. It just seems mad not to use the closest station. Surely using a one way system such as the Water Street exit out except for disabled people and prams etc and the lifts on the way In.

Also to stop trains arriving at Central full on the loop, dont allow boarding at James. Street platform 1.

You could also have alternative trains stopping at every other station on the loop to allow space.

However I think with the vast amount of people, what ever you did wouldn't work for all..

User(s) browsing this thread: 18 Guest(s)