Current time: 02/05/2024, 16:31 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseyrail
RE: Merseyrail
(10/12/2012 18:08)wirralbus Wrote:  I think that there is enough of a catchment area for electrification to be feasible to either Woodchurch or Neston .

If they were going to electrify part of the line, it would most probably be Bidston-Shotton.

Deeside/Queensferry is a very busy catchment area, with a reasonable amount of heavy industry still present. On top of that, you have got connections up the North Wales Coast and to Chester/Manchester, so it would become quite a reasonable interchange.

My money is on Kirkby-Wigan being electrified with 3rd rail into the Wallgate bay, with maybe 1-2 new stations along the route.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(10/12/2012 18:08)wirralbus Wrote:  I think that there is enough of a catchment area for electrification to be feasible to either Woodchurch or Neston .

I would like to see electrification to Neston and some kind of heritage service onward to Wrexham.
If they was to electrify the section beyond Kirkby , they would need to look at the single line section from Fazakerley to Rainford.
(09/12/2012 22:27)First Class Wrote:  A 4-car unit is sufficient IMO, especially if specified with 3+2 seating. London Overground manage fine with their 378s.

I am fairly confident that something from the Bombardier Electrostar family (377,378,379) will replace the PEP fleet.

I initially thought that the Siemens Desiro City may be considered, but I think it is unlikely, especially with some of the technology being implemented in these designs being fairly untested & new. It also would generate bad press in terms of "Germans taking British jobs" etc etc.

As for any other stock - very unlikely. Merseytravel can't afford to obtain something bespoke. Needs to be something cheap, easy to produce, easy to source parts, and with a proven record in the UK.

You won't get 6-car trains in the future, primarily because carriages are built longer than they used to be. Difficult to lengthen most Merseyrail platforms.

5-car units are a no go because you need 2 car and 3 car mixed sets, fixed 5-car sets are overkill during the day.

4-car units are a good compromise. Longer carriages than present, with better seating configurations. You would probably get a lot more seats in a 4-car 377 with 3+2 seating than a current 507 6-car.

with a capacity of around 600 on a four car set including standees, this is more than a match for current 6 car sets and should suffice
Passenger perception of six car trains being replaced by four car trains though is going to be a harder obstacle to pass .

I do hope now that we have go to 2+2 seating we do not go back to 3+2 seating onbaoard these new units , it will be retrograde , in the old stock nobody seemed to use the middle seat on the 3 side of the unit , with passengers preferring to stand than be squashed between two plump women or rather rotund men.
(10/12/2012 16:03)jtd508110 Wrote:  In that case, we were on the same train!! Were you in the DMS A car (with the compressor)? I think if my memory serves me correctly, 508127 was the unit to the rescue. I would like merseyrail to extent to Crewe, but don't see it happening.

Yes i was in the DMS A car i was sat right behind the cab was on my way to my girlfriends in maghull at the time to surprise her for her birthday needed to get there before she did and thankfully i made it thanks to good old 508127 for rescuing us 127 is one of my favourite units i love the sound it makes!
The waiting room on the liverpool bound platform at maghull is being refurbished they are extending it by knocking through into what used to be the old ticket office and a disabled toliet is also being installed. A toilet is also currently under constuction at town green station.
(11/12/2012 07:31)MX12CFE Wrote:  
(10/12/2012 16:03)jtd508110 Wrote:  In that case, we were on the same train!! Were you in the DMS A car (with the compressor)? I think if my memory serves me correctly, 508127 was the unit to the rescue. I would like merseyrail to extent to Crewe, but don't see it happening.

Yes i was in the DMS A car i was sat right behind the cab was on my way to my girlfriends in maghull at the time to surprise her for her birthday needed to get there before she did and thankfully i made it thanks to good old 508127 for rescuing us 127 is one of my favourite units i love the sound it makes!

I was also in that car and had just been to my girlfriends and was heading off to town. I was standing by the doors above the compressor, then as soon as I saw the smoke, I moved to the trailer coach. And yes, it has got very unique sounding traction motors! Smile
i kind of like 508127, i love the sound of the resistor fans and the engine, i love the way it looks as well with the high numbers and the COC loos.
Not sure if this one has been reported yet 507020 has been fitted with the cab air con equipment it was on southport line this morning.

User(s) browsing this thread: 26 Guest(s)