Current time: 03/05/2024, 19:22 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseyrail
RE: Merseyrail
Has anybody from the forum travelled to Liverpool Central , if so what do you think of the refurbishment ?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(22/10/2012 13:07)wirralbus Wrote:  Has anybody from the forum travelled to Liverpool Central , if so what do you think of the refurbishment ?

Think a few people are going to be rather annoyed.

My opinion is that the way it looks cosmetically, (which people are most interested in), is not as good as people would have expected for the "disruption" they think they've been caused.

I think people would have expected a lot more overall.

Capacity will still be a major concern on 1/2, but at least it isn't as dull...
Think they have been limited by the amount of money that was available for the rebuild , im sure Merseyrail would have loved to do more , somewhere in the future a third northern line platform is going to have to come .

I can still see Saturday afternoon being a particular concern , so this coming weekend will be crucial to see how it pans out .
Upstairs of "new" Central looks nice, but I don't think many people will be blown away by what has been done at platform level - if they actually notice any change at all...

Visit my Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/kevin_rowe/
i was one of the passengers to travel to central this morning, i was going to chester and i thought the platforms and concourse both looked fantastic i'm also very impressed with the toilets and the waiting area by the lift, when i changed over this evening unfortunately thier was a medical emergency on the northern line platforms, an elderley lady had fallen onto the platform leaving one of the hunts cross trains at around half four ish, fortunately the lady was only injured minorly and i thought the staff did an excellent job in the sitation.

what kind of train cleared the snow off the southport line in december 2010
(22/10/2012 18:20)507 mad Wrote:  what kind of train cleared the snow off the southport line in december 2010

3-car Merseyrail 507/508 units run route proving trains, which run occasionally enough so snow doesn't get a chance to settle. In 2010, the snow was too heavy and caused various units to catch fire due to extreme flashover or lost their shoes and became gapped, with no units available to rescue.

Sometimes a Class 989 MPV runs through, but it isn't specifically to clear snow.
(22/10/2012 17:15)KevR Wrote:  Upstairs of "new" Central looks nice, but I don't think many people will be blown away by what has been done at platform level - if they actually notice any change at all...

I thought exactly the same!
There was only enough money to do a small cosmetic change , somewhere down the line probably within 10 to 15 years a more major improvement to liverpool central northern line is going to be needed .
The platforms are pretty average, it looks a bit brighter but its ultimately a real let down. It was unfinished anyway with work being carried out tonight to add cladding that was missing. Advert frames are only halfway up one escalator and not on the other side at all, the tiling is not complete on the end of the platform anyway. Just six seats are on the platform too right at the far end, although it sounds like there are plans to add more it also sounded like they have decided to move seats upstairs for some reason. All in all, you have to wonder where the 7 months have gone.

Oh Superman where are you now, when everything's gone wrong somehow, the men of steel, the men of power, are losing control by the hour.
4108 | 4120 | 4125 | 4127 | 507001 | 507006 | 507023 | 508111 | 508130
I was there today and against all the feedback that I have heared, I was impressed. Yes it is unfinished, but it really makes the station feel more like a station of today, and the dangerous rubber slippy floors have gone which makes it better. Maybe the upstairs seating is to encourage people to stay off the platform until their train comes to ease overcrowding downstairs and a potentially fatal accident.

User(s) browsing this thread: 21 Guest(s)