Current time: 08/05/2024, 05:45 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseyrail
RE: Merseyrail
Thoughts are with everyone involved. Happily it appears the driver is ok albeit shaken.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
I couldn't agree more.

I think also that given how far 507006 has gone through the bridge, the recovery of the 2 coaches won't be easy given the restricted space available for cranes to rerail them.
The front has ended up on the DMU side of the station, so it’s unlikely the Wigan service can operate, and if a crane is needed, which side it will come from is uncertain
Does look like 507006 is done gone!
The accident was caused by the train colliding with the buffer stop at the end of the line, it's also been confirmed that the train driver has been taken to hospital for treatment.

(14/03/2021 00:15)SNL 824 Wrote:  Does look like 507006 is done gone!

Quite likely yes, I believe the Class 777's are due to enter service this year apparently.
I would hazard a guess here that it would also depend on the rail conditions at the time leading up to the accident.

Does anybody have any info please on if there were other possible factors that lead to the accident ( approaching too fast, late braking etc ) clearly the drivers health is not in question as he is ok although he is being treated at the very least for shock.
(05/03/2021 01:04)508134 Wrote:  One of the problems with running trains as 6 cars is the empty cabs in the centre of the 6 car (if the cab door becomes unlocked).
I was on a 6 car the end of last year and noticed the door to one of the cabs in the centre was open (unattended). Mentioned it to the guard once we arrived at the terminal station and he explained to me that he had shut that door a number of times recently-it appeared the latches on some of cab doors can be faulty, causing the cab doors to open, especially as the train goes around bends etc.

Theyre open quite often, as you say the catch is quite flimsy and they like to open around corners. I have seen increased checks from staff over the last few weeks of the middle cabs at the terminus and midroute to look for train surfers. All the driving cabs are fitted with anti hijack devices on the sliding saloon door, it's a small piston at the bottom which locks the door shut when the desk is set to forward/reverse in that cab, hence why the drivers cab door never slides open in motion!

Regarding how no staff or cctv spotted the guy in the cab, the chances of being seen by staff between stations is very slim. The cctv can't be viewed live, just like a bus it has to be downloaded.
(14/03/2021 02:14)313201 Wrote:  I would hazard a guess here that it would also depend on the rail conditions at the time leading up to the accident.

Does anybody have any info please on if there were other possible factors that lead to the accident ( approaching too fast, late braking etc ) clearly the drivers health is not in question as he is ok although he is being treated at the very least for shock.

This is not the place to be discussing the cause.
Accepted
The Chester and Ellesmere Port services have started there Sunday interworking , which has given the service a rather lob sided feel now from Hooton to Liverpool of a service every 7/23 minutes .

The week day service goes up from 4 services to 5 between Hooton and Liverpool with the introduction of a 20 minute daytime service , think this is the first time i have come across a 20 minute service on the system.

User(s) browsing this thread: 10 Guest(s)