Current time: 14/05/2024, 18:52 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Group Speculation
RE: First Group Speculation
I agree with everybody on here that Stagecoach seem to have an appetite to turn round loss making operations , I think its there verve and imagination that does that and they love the word promotion .

You only have to look at the dark days of stagecoach with the likes of Darlington , hopefully those sort of shennanigans are over for good .
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(04/11/2012 10:14)Nicholas Wrote:  
(03/11/2012 21:29)Metroline1511 Wrote:  I wonder whether Stagecoach Manchester Megariders will be valid on these routes?

I would have thought so, as the Manchester Megarider is valid within the whole of Greater Manchester. It is already valid on the 113 and 125 within the region.

Quote:I wonder whether there will be any reshuffle of routes between Wigan and other garages prior to the sell-off?
No, everything that is at Wigan will transfer to Stagecoach, and I think this does include the X34. I'm not aware of any services transferring into Wigan (I had wondered if the 12/25/26 might have been lumped in).

Thanks Nicholas, I didn't know that Megariders were already valid on routes 113 and 125 within Gr Manchester.

For all the speculation about First retrieving the more profitable routes at Wigan, it seems that First knew they would gain little in terms of proceeds without divesting these routes too.
Today I have been informed at the same time one from my friend at Stagecoach Manchester saying First Chester and Wirral are being aqired by Stagecoach Merseyside but on the other hand another friend said the sale is off so I wonder which is true
I think we need to wait and see until we get some proper confirmation of a takeover, like with the Wigan takeover. So basically Andy this is really neither one thing or the other at this time.
Hmmm I'm taking the rumoured takeover of First C&W with a pinch of salt. Anyone remember when Stagecoach supposedly had a bid for Halton Transport 'accepted'?
The rumour was that Wigan, Chester and Birkenhead were to be sold as a job lot but as said previously, let's just wait for confirmation before things get dangerous.
(07/11/2012 12:49)St Helens Rider Wrote:  The rumour was that Wigan, Chester and Birkenhead were to be sold as a job lot but as said previously, let's just wait for confirmation before things get dangerous.

I wont say much more than saying that if the other places where going to Stagecoach , then Stagecoach at Wigan would have been in the hands of Merseyside management not Manchester management .
I'm just repeating what others have said but they're correct in that it is best to wait for official confirmation before suggesting a deal has been arrived at as the whole 'my mate said this' kind of thing (that's not a dig at anyone) has the potential to cause problems and end in tears.

[Image: 1chYP.jpg]
I think many of us were hoping that some more disposals would be announced on Wednesday with First's trading statement. Alas no more were announced, it seems.
Major banks are advising clients to get rid of their shares in First!

Quote:FirstGroup continued to fall back following last week's shock withdrawal of the West Coast franchise amid bid irregularities at the Department of Transport. It lost another 5.2p to 190.9p, with Deutsche Bank the latest to issued downbeat note on the business. Recommending clients to sell...

The markets appear to think that if they fail to secure Thameslink/Great Western franchise they are pretty much done for.

Quote:Profitable extensions to First Great Western and First Capital Connect [franchises] offer a last chance saloon. Otherwise 2014 will be another "transition year", the dividend will definitely be cut and FirstGroup will have a tricky decision to take regarding debt reduction, further asset sales and/or a rights issue. The shares look cheap both pre and post a rights issue...

My view is that if they don't win the two franchises, any assets, (e.g. depots etc), under performing will be sold off desperately to try and get some income.

If they don't return a decent dividend, you aren't going to get many investors!

First Group are rated BBB- with negative outlook by both Standard & Poor's and Fitch.
Anything lower than a BBB- rating is considered a speculative or junk bond.

In comparison, Arriva has an AA rating, which is very good, only 2 ranks below the top. However, Stagecoach Group is barely doing much better than First, with the same BBB- rating, albeit with a stable outlook.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)