Current time: 28/04/2024, 21:52 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

First Group Speculation
RE: First Group Speculation
I don't believe that First make much profit in Devon and Cornwall. I am not even just saying this after they pulled out of Barnstaple recently. I wonder whether they will sell out to Arriva (or maybe Plymouth to Stagecoach) to give Arriva a presence in the south west?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Well, with Wigan already gone to Stagecoach a month back & the Wirral/Chester/Wrexham operations transferring to Stagecoach this coming Sunday 13 January......which will go next, seems to have all gone quiet!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/dmc1947/
Apparently they have some progress to report by the end of March, but alas no further info as to what. The hottest rumours I have read are about Northampton closing unless they find a buyer (such as Uno or CentreBus as Stagecoach would probably be blocked by the OFT), and Kidderminster/ Redditch going to National Express. Although Go-Ahead hope to grow through acquisition, I have not come across any First operations being sought by Go-Ahead, apart from a rumour months ago about some in eastern Scotland.
Kidderminster and Redditch have been sold to Rotala

http://thebuspeople.co.uk/?p=1782

Wrexham Transport (Flickr)
(24/01/2013 11:11)Garsty Wrote:  Kidderminster and Redditch have been sold to Rotala

http://thebuspeople.co.uk/?p=1782

This is quite a small operation so would suit Rotala to add on to their existing Redditch operation. As they are a small company nationally this takeover is likely to be cleared.

There is a remarkable amount of speculation surrounding their east Scotland operations considering these were not on First's disposals hitlist last June.

With First London gaining route 425 from Docklands Transit, it seems their operations in east London are no longer for sale.
I think speculation on First has gone quiet of late. With so many ad-hoc repaints, it is hard to tell where else First are most willing to sell. Maybe they are only receiving bids that they feel are not worth it.
I think its more a case of First having unrealistic expectations for the price of their operations. Either that or they plan to shuffle vehicles about just before a selloff in certain areas.

It's interesting that several First Scotland East vehicles have received the new livery, but with no fleetnames at all.
The sale of most London bus operations will net First ca £80m, taking them near their £100m target. According to omnibuses.blogspot.com they had no bidders for Northampton (Stagecoach may have refrained from bidding for the likely blocking by the OFT) nor Somerset (maybe Stagecoach ditto).

I wonder whether First had discussions with many other companies regarding London, so may resume discussions with them regarding potential other operations later this year?
I think First had a bidder for Plymouth last year but the identity was not disclosed. As First Plymouth is isolated from Cornwall and Somerset (including route 92 to Exeter), it would be a logical sale. If they dump their Ugo routes they could sell out to Go-Ahead. Plymouth would still have other operators including Stagecoach, Western Greyhound and Jacketts Coaches.

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)