Current time: 18/05/2024, 21:31 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Merseyside Transport Trust
RE: Merseyside Transport Trust
(10/09/2012 11:31)MTL0201 Wrote:  I was on 1836 when it was the 72A & thought the driver was poor, & the people who i was with missed there connection with A267 as we were late arriving at Penny Lane because the driver was so slow.

That was the journey I was on. They did seem very disappointed and slightly peeved! The driver did seem to let the revs drop considerably while changing gear. Maybe there was a reason for this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Yesterday I was the Guard on L501 in the morning until 1307 everything went well till about 12 when the Place blinds decided to give up so left it on blank
in the afternoon from 1400 I was the Guard on 1836 it was a good day overall and enjoyed every minute
I'd have gone this year if there was a bus to interest me, but its not worth forking out for a saveaway to ride 1003 and 1070 (as lovely as they are).. if only there where more MTL buses :/

I am no longer active on this forum.
well I thought my saveaway was money well spent -there again I grew up with a lot of the buses that were out yesterday!
(10/09/2012 18:55)P493 MBY Wrote:  I'd have gone this year if there was a bus to interest me, but its not worth forking out for a saveaway to ride 1003 and 1070 (as lovely as they are).. if only there where more MTL buses :/

It was a shame you didn't have a feeder service to/from your part of the world. I do agree though about the lack of MTL vehicles.
(10/09/2012 20:45)SNL 824 Wrote:  well I thought my saveaway was money well spent -there again I grew up with a lot of the buses that were out yesterday!

SNL it was good to meet you yesterday did you make your connections back ok?
(10/09/2012 13:39)Phil Wrote:  That was the journey I was on. They did seem very disappointed and slightly peeved! The driver did seem to let the revs drop considerably while changing gear. Maybe there was a reason for this?

That's generally how semi auto boxes should be driven. Every bus is different and also depends on the rate that the revs drop as to when to engage the next gear. The driver of 1836 at the time is a master of the art however!

Something, something, something Dart Side...
That's how you have to drive crash gearboxes! As the cogs have to be brought together, they have to be spinning at roughly the same speed in order to mesh (otherwise you get a crunch and no gear) - this means engine speed has to match road speed for that gear, ie. a rev drop when changing up.

Compare that to a syncromesh gearbox on all modern vehicles where the cogs are constantly engaged and you just change the locking of them onto the driveshaft; no worries about matching speeds within the 'box.
(10/09/2012 22:11)P450 SWX Wrote:  
(10/09/2012 20:45)SNL 824 Wrote:  well I thought my saveaway was money well spent -there again I grew up with a lot of the buses that were out yesterday!

SNL it was good to meet you yesterday did you make your connections back ok?

Yes all worked well thanks. I was glad I caught up with you eventually, as I seemed to be out of synch with 1836 by about 15 minutes all afternoon!
If it was after 1400 you had 1836?
it was the bus being slow not us the driver used to be a driving instructor and even he was getting annoyed also thick smoke did not help he said from his ezperiance the gears sounded wrong
the only reason I know this was I was the Guard on 1836 after 1400

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)