Current time: 18/05/2024, 12:25 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

GHA Group (Bryn Melyn, Vale Travel + Others)
RE: GHA Group (Bryn Melyn, Vale Travel + Others)
(25/02/2016 09:52)knutstransport Wrote:  From VOSA

PC1098981/12 - G H A COACHES LTD, UNIT 11, VAUXHALL INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, RUABON, WREXHAM, LL14 6UY
Cancellation Accepted: Operating between Chester Bus Exc and Frodsham given service number 21E effective from 18-Apr-2016.

No surprise to see the last two in the list. I thought the number 8 had been Stagecoach for a while now. Presumably the 21 refers to the Sunday service being cancelled as the evening service is Stagecoach.

I didn't know GHA ran the 21. I knew it was Widnes Commerical many moons ago, and then I saw a couple of Stagecoach buses running dead. Never noticed a GHA though
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(25/02/2016 13:53)telf23 Wrote:  I didn't know GHA ran the 21. I knew it was Widnes Commerical many moons ago, and then I saw a couple of Stagecoach buses running dead. Never noticed a GHA though

Think it's just Sundays, running between Chester and Frodsham only (Traveline seems to confirm this).
And GHA cancelling the registrations for the Cheshire East contract awards which have been retracted (the 300 Saturday service and 37 evening service):

PC1098981/46 - G H A COACHES LTD, UNIT 11, VAUXHALL INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, RUABON, WREXHAM, LL14 6UY
Cancellation Accepted by SN: Operating between Winsford and Sandbach given service number 37 effective from 29-Feb-2016.

PC1098981/47 - G H A COACHES LTD, UNIT 11, VAUXHALL INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, RUABON, WREXHAM, LL14 6UY
Cancellation Accepted by SN: Operating between Knutsford and Knutsford given service number 300 effective from 29-Feb-2016.
(24/02/2016 19:26)telf23 Wrote:  Also, does anybody know how well used the 36 Runcorn to Ellesmere Port service is? The last few times I've seen it it's had quite low loadings but it was around 1/2pm, so not exactly a peak time.

This 36 actually only runs between the Halton Lea area of Runcorn and Ellesmere Port.
When I've seen/travelled on it, I have actually been surprised at how many it's picked up.
Granted, it's not packed out, but for a half-hourly service mainly through rural areas, it does better than I would have imagined.
Weirdly, the vehicles branded for it (if they are still branded -- I can't find a mention on http://www.ronsbusesandcoaches.com/gha/gha-liveries ) are very often used on other routes.
I would have thought that a less frequent service connecting more areas would do better (say Widnes - Runcorn - Halton Lea - Frodsham - Ellesmere Port), as Runcorn town centre and Widnes aren't connected with Frodsham/Ellesmere Port (or even Chester), though I think GHA's lack of success with their X36 service which ran all the way from Liverpool Airport to Ellesmere Port has put an end to the idea of extensions, and Arriva(/Halton?) might not like further competition between Runcorn and Widnes, even though this wouldn't be the point of the extension.
(25/02/2016 15:47)Valandil Wrote:  This 36 actually only runs between the Halton Lea area of Runcorn and Ellesmere Port.
When I've seen/travelled on it, I have actually been surprised at how many it's picked up.
Granted, it's not packed out, but for a half-hourly service mainly through rural areas, it does better than I would have imagined.
Weirdly, the vehicles branded for it (if they are still branded -- I can't find a mention on http://www.ronsbusesandcoaches.com/gha/gha-liveries ) are very often used on other routes.

I think this is one of them in the new livery in Shropshire: https://www.flickr.com/photos/gha-group-...348191069/
(25/02/2016 15:47)Valandil Wrote:  I would have thought that a less frequent service connecting more areas would do better (say Widnes - Runcorn - Halton Lea - Frodsham - Ellesmere Port), as Runcorn town centre and Widnes aren't connected with Frodsham/Ellesmere Port (or even Chester), though I think GHA's lack of success with their X36 service which ran all the way from Liverpool Airport to Ellesmere Port has put an end to the idea of extensions, and Arriva(/Halton?) might not like further competition between Runcorn and Widnes, even though this wouldn't be the point of the extension.

Halton Transport used to run a 31 From Widnes To Chester Hourly (following most of the 21 route) but withdrew the service around 2008/2009? due to declining passenger numbers travelling from the Widnes section of the route. Halton wanted to concentrate more on the 'local' area, and focused more on schools/colleges which were more self-sustainable by cash fares, and since then the 'link' from Widnes has vanished.

The 31 service actually existed during the same time GHA took over the 36 commercially after it was withdrawn by First Chester, A possible reason why there was no extension. First Chester also used ECW Olympians which wouldn't be able to travel around the eastern side of the busway due to low bridges, you would essentially have to head back on yourself before travelling East to Widnes again.

If people do want to travel to Chester or Cheshire West by bus, many (myself actually included) will just interchange at Halton Lea anyway by taking the short (IICR 12 minute) trip on the 110.
The 31 IIRC only ran on Sundays (being a Sunday variant/extension of Arriva's 21), so I do wonder if such a service were to operate Mon - Sat if it would be a success. Many years ago, Crosville ran Liverpool - Widnes - Runcorn - Chester but in those days they had depots in Liverpool, Runcorn & Chester and such a route these days may fall foul of current driving hours regulations.
(25/02/2016 23:04)St Helens Rider Wrote:  The 31 IIRC only ran on Sundays (being a Sunday variant/extension of Arriva's 21), so I do wonder if such a service were to operate Mon - Sat if it would be a success. Many years ago, Crosville ran Liverpool - Widnes - Runcorn - Chester but in those days they had depots in Liverpool, Runcorn & Chester and such a route these days may fall foul of current driving hours regulations.

An update to my earlier post, apparently the 21 went to Widnes and 31 to Warrington, both 2 hourly (hourly combined Sunday service)

Just had a look at the 2006 timetable available here
On VOSA

PG1073209/26 - G H A COACHES LTD, UNIT 11, VAUXHALL INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, RUABON, WREXHAM, LL14 6UY
Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Wrexham and Denbigh given service number X50 effective from 29-Feb-2016. To amend Timetable.

PG1073209/33 - G H A COACHES LTD, UNIT 11, VAUXHALL INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, RUABON, WREXHAM, LL14 6UY
Variation Accepted by SN: Operating between Denbigh, Lenten Pool and Rhyl Bus Station given service number X52/x50 effective from 29-Feb-2016. To amend Timetable.

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(25/02/2016 22:17)Raawwwrrr! Wrote:  Halton Transport used to run a 31 From Widnes To Chester Hourly (following most of the 21 route) but withdrew the service around 2008/2009? due to declining passenger numbers travelling from the Widnes section of the route. Halton wanted to concentrate more on the 'local' area, and focused more on schools/colleges which were more self-sustainable by cash fares, and since then the 'link' from Widnes has vanished.

The 31 service actually existed during the same time GHA took over the 36 commercially after it was withdrawn by First Chester, A possible reason why there was no extension. First Chester also used ECW Olympians which wouldn't be able to travel around the eastern side of the busway due to low bridges, you would essentially have to head back on yourself before travelling East to Widnes again.

If people do want to travel to Chester or Cheshire West by bus, many (myself actually included) will just interchange at Halton Lea anyway by taking the short (IICR 12 minute) trip on the 110.

The Halton 21 & 31 services were 2 hourly combined, running to Widnes and Warrington respectively. Barely anybody used these though. For Runcorn, Chester isn't a major place to go to in all honesty. More traffic goes toward Liverpool than anywhere else, hence why so many services travel to there.

Also, when First operated the 36, deckers wouldn't have been a problem to get to Widnes. When they operated the 21 with Arriva they used them. The section on busway they use only had one bridge and was higher than the rest of them. I think an extension to Widnes would serve GHA well for the 36, even if it was an hourly extension at first. It's a really good service for the area, as it's the only way to connect to Cheshire Oaks if you don't drive.

I must admit, GHA have made a more successful service out of the 36 than First Chester ever did!

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)