Current time: 16/05/2024, 09:02 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Stagecoach Manchester and Wigan
RE: Stagecoach Manchester
Ouch, ive never seen VOSA, thanj god, not that my bus isnt checked properly but if they want so find something they will
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(23/01/2014 15:04)jimbo Wrote:  Ouch, ive never seen VOSA, thanj god, not that my bus isnt checked properly but if they want so find something they will

I've seen them before checking buses but normally they do it in the layover bay away from passengers.
Was very surprised to see them actually checking the bus on the stand in front view of passengers who could hear everything going on.

The Stagecoach inspector didn't look too happy either.

Out of interest when VOSA confiscate a bus who recovers it? And does it just get taken back to depot to be repaired.
(23/01/2014 13:00)Mayneway Wrote:  VOSA out in force today in Ashton Bus Station.

19077 was inspected on stand and 'confiscated' 19077.

It's fair to say the driver was very shocked.
wonder what made VOSA come to the conclusion to confiscate 19077 ?
I suspect they didn't 'confiscate' as such, but issued it with an immediate prohibition notice.

Doing checks like that in front of passengers does not help VOSAs supposed desire to get on better with the industry and improve their image...
They used the word confiscate when they were explaining to the inspector what had been found etc.

According to the driver they found a defective body panal and there was a problem with the exterior lights.

I felt quite sorry for the driver but to give him his dues he kept the waiting passengers informed of what was going on and even apologised to me as I was getting off in Glossop.

I agree though that it dosen't look good when it's done in front of the general public. I remember a few years back VOSA were in Ashton checking Speedwell vehicles but they did all the spot checks away from the stands in the layover area.
But I suppose it has to be done.

I wonder if any Pioneer vehicles are taken off the road, James?? Smile
Indeed it does not look good done in front of the public. This is one of the things that has been highlighted time and again to VOSA over the last few years, and recently they claimed that they were trying to do things less obtrusively to passengers. Evidently not.
won't the driver receive a fine for this, a friend of mine drives for Cumfybus and a similar thing happened to him. He received a fine from vosa which was for him to pay but the company paid instead.
I'm really not clued up on this area of the law, but I imagine it depends.

If the driver was the same one that took the vehicle out in the morning, and did the first use walkround check, then I'd imagine he would get a fine. (Walkround check possibly should have picked the issue up.)

However, if he's relieved the vehicle later in the day then I don't think he's required to carry out a walk round check and therefore has a defence that he was unaware of the defects.

Knowing VOSA though, they'll probably fine both company and driver anyway.
Saw 33 is on 21237 eclipse on evenin' arrive Wigan BS before 10.40 ish. And enviro 300 was on 33 to Boothtowns at 10.00pm before i leave train station at wallgate. ALX300 is on 22 to stockport about before 7.30pm evenin'.

Thank you,

Martyn
I thought stagecoach have defect cards that stay with the bus all day and it was drivers responsability to ensure the veichle is fine when they take over and sign the card to say that the vichle is fine making it the drivers respinsability for any defect found while his in charge of the viechle.

User(s) browsing this thread: 26 Guest(s)