Current time: 03/05/2024, 00:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Jim Stones Coaches
RE: Jim Stones Coaches
Realistically all Diamond might want or be happy with is work to the North of Leigh. The work to the South of Leigh is quite some distance from Bolton so to operate it from there surely wouldn't be practical, I think your looking really beteen two operators for everything in Lowton and the 596 Landside Route, Stagecoach and/or Network Warrington, the closest dept to it is Stagecoach's Bryn base, and no doubt stock could be obtained if needed from within the group and brought in quickly. Stagecoach also looked over Jim Stones a few years back in a view to purchasing it outright but the bid was rejected by Jim Stones at that time, so no doubt they also might be interested in at least some of the commercial work as well.

As for Diamond they would be best place for one route only, the Leigh - Hag Fold service. Those in Westleigh are again much easier for Stagecoach to operate from Bryn.

Another operator who might be interested in the tendered side of the business is Tyrer's although again some of this would involve plenty of dead mileage if they want to operate in Lowton, although over Diamond they are close to the A580 East Lancs Road which would be an advantage.

The main commercial worry would be service 584 to Crankwood which is a Council Estate some mileage outside Leigh which has no other bus services, so preserving links there would surely be a priority for TfGM as would Atherton - Hag Fold, similarly a large council area which stretches a distance from the North of Atherton, and 595 Leigh - Abbey Lane again a large Council estate some distance from Leigh, everything else could probably be serviced off diversions to other services or is possibly not necessary. Although the new Conservative MP for Leigh who is Lowton base might be interested in ensuring the Lowton and Landside services are saved. Also any cuts might mean parts of Hindley Green and North Atherton are left unlinked to Leigh but the Diamond 132 also serves sections of it so to up the frequency of the 132 between Atherton and Wigan might be a better option over the longer term.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(17/01/2020 21:00)motormayhem1 Wrote:  Thought Diamond are struggling to cover there own work so doubt they would take on any more untill they are fully staffed up.

Rotala aren't really interested in Jim Stones (nothing to buy), they checked them out a while back.
(17/01/2020 21:55)gilesbus1 Wrote:  Realistically all Diamond might want or be happy with is work to the North of Leigh. The work to the South of Leigh is quite some distance from Bolton so to operate it from there surely wouldn't be practical, I think your looking really beteen two operators for everything in Lowton and the 596 Landside Route, Stagecoach and/or Network Warrington, the closest dept to it is Stagecoach's Bryn base, and no doubt stock could be obtained if needed from within the group and brought in quickly. Stagecoach also looked over Jim Stones a few years back in a view to purchasing it outright but the bid was rejected by Jim Stones at that time, so no doubt they also might be interested in at least some of the commercial work as well.

As for Diamond they would be best place for one route only, the Leigh - Hag Fold service. Those in Westleigh are again much easier for Stagecoach to operate from Bryn.

Another operator who might be interested in the tendered side of the business is Tyrer's although again some of this would involve plenty of dead mileage if they want to operate in Lowton, although over Diamond they are close to the A580 East Lancs Road which would be an advantage.

The main commercial worry would be service 584 to Crankwood which is a Council Estate some mileage outside Leigh which has no other bus services, so preserving links there would surely be a priority for TfGM as would Atherton - Hag Fold, similarly a large council area which stretches a distance from the North of Atherton, and 595 Leigh - Abbey Lane again a large Council estate some distance from Leigh, everything else could probably be serviced off diversions to other services or is possibly not necessary. Although the new Conservative MP for Leigh who is Lowton base might be interested in ensuring the Lowton and Landside services are saved. Also any cuts might mean parts of Hindley Green and North Atherton are left unlinked to Leigh but the Diamond 132 also serves sections of it so to up the frequency of the 132 between Atherton and Wigan might be a better option over the longer term.
The 584 I think would be good as an extension to the 34. Extend it to Ashton via Plank Lane and then down through Golborne. Golborne would be a best terminus but I would extend to Ashton for the sake of driver changes. Alternatively, how busy is the 10 down St Helens Road/Newton Road? Could 2bph be diverted off the 10?

The 595 only needs Abbey Lane sorting. In which case, could TFGM put out for the 583 to be ran all day. This then sorts the Hag Fold and the Abbey Lane areas? It would need to run a circular of Hag Fold in the day for it to be done with 1 bus but it might be do-able. The cost of the 593 and the deminims on the 682 should make up 1/2 the funds needed for an all day 583.
Or Network Warrington could even run a 584 between their 19 and 28 - who knows! I guess nobody knows.
(19/01/2020 03:22)Valandil Wrote:  Or Network Warrington could even run a 584 between their 19 and 28 - who knows! I guess nobody knows.

Or even Warringtons Own Buses Valandi LOL
(19/01/2020 09:57)RSTurbo50 Wrote:  Or even Warringtons Own Buses Valandi LOL

Haha oops yes, quite right - it could work quite well, as instead of a 19/28 going back out on a 19/28 at Leigh, a 19/28 could in theory go onto a 584, then swap routes and come back to Warrington as a 28/19 half an hour later. Of course it is just in theory and may very well not happen in practice!
The only problem with this is that it would mean that 19/28 would have to be operated by Cadets which considering both routes can be quite busy I dont think its a good idea.
Deckers shouldn't be a problem on the 584 i wouldn't have thought? And didn't Arriva use Pulsars when they had the Sunday 584 contract so Warrington's Eclipses should be fine.
(15/01/2020 11:27)AlexBus12 Wrote:  Jim Stones Coaches is to close on Saturday 18th April with drivers made redundant, unless a buyer is found. They've cited the uncertainty of bus franchising, and the upcoming LEZ plans.
Jim and his wife will now retire. All the best to the drivers.

Statement in the local news today.

https://www.leighjournal.co.uk/news/1817...-30-years/
They made an official announcement on their Facebook Page this morning putting it in the public domain

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)