Current time: 30/04/2024, 10:04 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Greater Manchester Franchising Tranche 3
RE: Greater Manchester Franchising Tranche 3
How much is franchising in Manchester costing? How many drivers will be losing their jobs, especially from the smaller bus companies and how many of these smaller bus companies are going to go bust because they can't survive on private work or school contracts?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(31/03/2024 11:09)Michael Wrote:  There was a Stockport small

Which was the point I was making. It allowed small operators to place bids, but it didn't automatically mean small operators would win them.
(31/03/2024 13:39)moreton407 Wrote:  How much is franchising in Manchester costing? How many drivers will be losing their jobs, especially from the smaller bus companies and how many of these smaller bus companies are going to go bust because they can't survive on private work or school contracts?

£135 million to set up the bee network

The franchise model is estimated to cost £135 million, although all revenue will be ploughed back into TfGM. The £135m, we reported in May 2021, would be funded through a combination of one-off local authority contributions, income from previous and future rises to the mayor's precept and cash returned by the government under Greater Manchester's devolution deal.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/...c-27750579
Route 42a is run by Hyde Road on Monday-Saturday but Stockport on Sunday. For simplicity I reckon the Sunday service will move to Hyde Road and therefore to Metroline.

Metroline is of course the only newcomer to Manchester franchising, all other work going to incumbents, though not always the same operations.

I somehow doubt the Magic Bus differentiation on the Wilmslow Road corridor will continue long after the routes comes under TfGM/Bee Network control.
Does Magicbus as a brand still exist though as despite the branding nearly every day there's normally at least a couple of standard Stagecoach vehicles on 142/143s?

Also with £2 fare scheme I'm sure that there's no difference in fares on a 142/143 then there is on other routes on Wilmslow Road/University Corridor.
(03/04/2024 05:23)M60lad Wrote:  Does Magicbus as a brand still exist though as despite the branding nearly every day there's normally at least a couple of standard Stagecoach vehicles on 142/143s?

Also with £2 fare scheme I'm sure that there's no difference in fares on a 142/143 then there is on other routes on Wilmslow Road/University Corridor.

It does pose an interesting question with the Tranche 3 which is probably why they've left it to last being one of the more complex decisions to be made along with many in the South Manchester area.

There is a need for management to acommodate the passengers on the 142/143 routes whilst note preventing those who rely upon travelling further out from Manchester / Wilmslow corridor on the 41/42(a/b/c)/43 from being able to board when the 142/143 is only a minute or so behind.

Stagecoach has previously used the financial incentives including £1 fares and cheap weekly/monthly tickets for the "Magic" brand and having express service such as the X41 and X57 that ran limited stop. Whether Metroline / TfGM consider one of these or a new option only time will tell.

Play City Bus Manager? I've compiled collections from different bus mods helpfully created by the community:
https://steamcommunity.com/id/dounowhoia...id=1364210

Play "Bus Simulator 18" on PC, check out my "Finglands" bus mod:
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f...2122981042
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(03/04/2024 17:37)dounowhoiam Wrote:  It does pose an interesting question with the Tranche 3 which is probably why they've left it to last being one of the more complex decisions to be made along with many in the South Manchester area.

There is a need for management to acommodate the passengers on the 142/143 routes whilst note preventing those who rely upon travelling further out from Manchester / Wilmslow corridor on the 41/42(a/b/c)/43 from being able to board when the 142/143 is only a minute or so behind.

Stagecoach has previously used the financial incentives including £1 fares and cheap weekly/monthly tickets for the "Magic" brand and having express service such as the X41 and X57 that ran limited stop. Whether Metroline / TfGM consider one of these or a new option only time will tell.

Only tfgm will make the decision it's got nothing to do with metroline
(31/03/2024 16:16)Tim33160 Wrote:  £135 million to set up the bee network

The franchise model is estimated to cost £135 million, although all revenue will be ploughed back into TfGM. The £135m, we reported in May 2021, would be funded through a combination of one-off local authority contributions, income from previous and future rises to the mayor's precept and cash returned by the government under Greater Manchester's devolution deal.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk/...c-27750579
Very surprised at the cost of franchising. Greater Manchester must be rolling in it and have no funding issues in Childcare, Care homes, and obviously, unlike other local authority areas, have no potholes in the road!
(07/04/2024 11:01)Rodney259 Wrote:  Very surprised at the cost of franchising. Greater Manchester must be rolling in it and have no funding issues in Childcare, Care homes, and obviously, unlike other local authority areas, have no potholes in the road!

I share your scepticism about the funding for the Bee Network. I suspect that it will not be long before Burnham is asking for more money, and complaining about not being given enough funding from central government.
Genuine question... How was SELNEC/GMT funded back in the day?

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)