Current time: 28/04/2024, 11:34 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West bus strike
RE: Arriva North West bus strike
(16/08/2022 18:33)L401CJF Wrote:  This must be doing some permanent damage to their patronage now. The longer it goes on, the more people will find alternative transport and never go back to the bus - especially with some of the service alterations in autumn.

I was in Liverpool on Monday and I've never been in a city on a weekday with so few buses about. I noticed the local train services towards Huyton were heaving.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(16/08/2022 18:33)L401CJF Wrote:  As an ex LS driver, I think its ridiculous. All this being stubborn over an extra 0.4% or whatever it is. I think even the 8.5% offer was very generous given the state the industry is in (and the economy in general). I left the union when I was employed there (and it wasn't just me that did), and I am so glad I got out of the industry when I did.

This must be doing some permanent damage to their patronage now. The longer it goes on, the more people will find alternative transport and never go back to the bus - especially with some of the service alterations in autumn.

Likewise I gave up my membership last year.
This strike will rumble on well into autumn. Union wants to cause maximum damage and come September when the schools go back this will have a detrimental effect.

I drive a route in Manchester that’s partly shared with an Arriva service and listening to passengers talk, most have switched to other modes or services.
Might Arriva get fed up with the situation and consider withdrawing from the North West area ?
They sold parts of the former Midland Red North operations a few years ago, and before that, some Scottish operations were sold to McGill.
Could Arriva not give the drivers an ultimatum to accept the offer by a certain date or it will be withdrawn?

All time rail mileage travelled 327264 miles
(17/08/2022 05:44)childwallblues Wrote:  Could Arriva not give the drivers an ultimatum to accept the offer by a certain date or it will be withdrawn?

After 12 weeks Arriva can argue drivers are in breach of their contracts, it’s a tricky one because if they start getting heavy it could look very bad on them but this strike will most certainly drag on into the new school term.
How long did the Yorkshire strike last in the end?

Was jcksmnr
I think Yorkshire drivers walked out for 4 weeks, returned for a bit and went out maybe for a few more days before it was resolved. So it seems almost certain this one will drag on for longer than that.

Oh Superman where are you now, when everything's gone wrong somehow, the men of steel, the men of power, are losing control by the hour.
4108 | 4120 | 4125 | 4127 | 507001 | 507006 | 507023 | 508111 | 508130
(16/08/2022 21:43)Bevan Price Wrote:  Might Arriva get fed up with the situation and consider withdrawing from the North West area ?
They sold parts of the former Midland Red North operations a few years ago, and before that, some Scottish operations were sold to McGill.

It's long been noted DB want to sell Arriva, but don't think they'll be able to sell the whole of Arriva to one company without attracting attention from the competition regulators, most likely each Arriva division will have be sold separately.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
Arriva North West strike suspended after 11.1% pay offer

https://www.unitetheunion.org/news-event...pay-offer/

busambassador on Instagram, Flickr & TikTok | Merseyside Buses on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
(17/08/2022 11:20)Mayneway Wrote:  After 12 weeks Arriva can argue drivers are in breach of their contracts, it’s a tricky one because if they start getting heavy it could look very bad on them but this strike will most certainly drag on into the new school term.

Well they could, but it wouldn't really put them in a better position as they wouldn't be able to take on new drivers to start straight away on next to no money.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)