Current time: 28/04/2024, 06:17 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West bus strike
RE: Arriva North West bus strike
(12/08/2022 16:53)313201 Wrote:  The drivers didn't even get a say on whether they would accept the offer, the damned unions made the decision for the drivers.

Stewards are democratically elected to represent workers' interests, it helps no one taking a crap offer to a ballot, as always if you think you can do better put yourself forward as a steward.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(12/08/2022 16:53)313201 Wrote:  I would like to point something out here and whether its right or not is irrelevant at the moment because this strike has gone on far too long and also bear this in mind before anybody criticises me, the decision of whether the previous pay deal was accepted or not was not made by the drivers.

The drivers didn't even get a say on whether they would accept the offer, the damned unions made the decision for the drivers.

This information has been circulating around the wirral after a few staff members ( names not known ) made it clear to members of the public that the unions were not getting feedback from the drivers.

I feel that the drivers SHOULD be given a chance to have their say even if the union bosses don't always agree otherwise what's the point in having drivers be part of a union if they're not allowed to speak up for themselves.

Completely irrelevant.

The members of the union came to the conclusion that 10% is the level that would be voted on and not a single offer from Arriva reached that freehold, anything less than that amount was deemed unacceptable and would not go to a vote. Therefore they had already spoken. There is zero point going to a member vote, delaying the process of talks, for members to say no as it doesn’t meet the agreed upon threshold.

Regardless though, an offer of 9.6% (less than the agreed 10) has gone out to the drivers to ballot on, against what was agreed between the union and members.
(13/08/2022 08:16)B10B6514 Wrote:  Back then senior reps may have received a "promotion" and/or "compensation" for relinquishing their positions at the end of disputes such as this.

In case anyone didn't know under current employment legislation no one can be treated differently by their employer for either being in a union or not being in one. So offering a promotion to someone in exchange for giving up a union position would now be illegal.
(13/08/2022 08:19)knutstransport Wrote:  In case anyone didn't know under current employment legislation no one can be treated differently by their employer for either being in a union or not being in one. So offering a promotion to someone in exchange for giving up a union position would now be illegal.

Exactly, you are totally correct. That's why I referred to it as the old days so it could be used as a comparison.
Could I ask all members to remember not to overstep any marks on the thread, please keep away from any allegations or any union/politics please!

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
Just read that the pay offer has been rejected, so the strike continues. On a 84% turnout, 79% rejected the deal.
(16/08/2022 16:24)St Helens Rider Wrote:  Just read that the pay offer has been rejected, so the strike continues. On a 84% turnout, 79% rejected the deal.

Judging by strikes in other regions this will continue for months

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWlqEkh...wHyRfm5C_A
Well with the number of complaints I have heard since this started, I am thinking it won't be long before passengers either continue to wait for the services to restart or call for everyone to be sacked and people who would be happy to work for the wages the drivers are earning hired to replace them.
As an ex LS driver, I think its ridiculous. All this being stubborn over an extra 0.4% or whatever it is. I think even the 8.5% offer was very generous given the state the industry is in (and the economy in general). I left the union when I was employed there (and it wasn't just me that did), and I am so glad I got out of the industry when I did.

This must be doing some permanent damage to their patronage now. The longer it goes on, the more people will find alternative transport and never go back to the bus - especially with some of the service alterations in autumn.
(16/08/2022 17:58)313201 Wrote:  Well with the number of complaints I have heard since this started, I am thinking it won't be long before passengers either continue to wait for the services to restart or call for everyone to be sacked and people who would be happy to work for the wages the drivers are earning hired to replace them.

If drivers were sacked Arriva would be sued heavily so they wouldn't risk that

Youtube Channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWlqEkh...wHyRfm5C_A

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)