Current time: 24/04/2024, 15:20 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva North West bus strike
RE: Potential Arriva North West bus strike
'Services 281 to 287, which serve Altrincham and surrounding areas, which are financially supported by Transport for Greater Manchester (TfGM) will be covered by alternative operator, Goodwins. Revised timetables will be available on the TfGM website and at bus stations - as well as any further changes to this cover throughout the duration of the strike.

Above taken from the Manchester Evening News website, so should be treated with caution.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
It's interesting to know where Go Goodwins have suddenly found drivers from, given they have used driver shortages as an excuse for the 391/392 service being reduced in frequency.

Also I do find it a bit strange that it appears the Macclesfield outstation are providing a full service. Could there be some agreement in place already for it to transfer to another operator?
It's also interesting how Go North West when they had their industrial relations issues managed to sub-contract routes out to other operators but Arriva can't do that. Even if it were just a limited service on a route with no alternative service, it would be useful. As a result, there are vast areas now without any public transport. Oh for the days when there were plenty of competing operators who would take up the slack at times like this.
(20/07/2022 10:50)St Helens Rider Wrote:  It's also interesting how Go North West when they had their industrial relations issues managed to sub-contract routes out to other operators but Arriva can't do that. Even if it were just a limited service on a route with no alternative service, it would be useful. As a result, there are vast areas now without any public transport. Oh for the days when there were plenty of competing operators who would take up the slack at times like this.

When go northwest went on strike it was only one depot where as arriva is a full operating area with larger network to cover.
Operators are struggling to cover there own networks due to shortage of staff and I don't think coach operators can cover it either , as they have there own work to cover with the summer trips.
(20/07/2022 10:50)St Helens Rider Wrote:  It's also interesting how Go North West when they had their industrial relations issues managed to sub-contract routes out to other operators but Arriva can't do that. Even if it were just a limited service on a route with no alternative service, it would be useful. As a result, there are vast areas now without any public transport. Oh for the days when there were plenty of competing operators who would take up the slack at times like this.

Hence why the strike will be shorter.

Very different circumstances. GNW went on strike during the second lockdown. The majority of operators who picked up work did so because they had no other work. Times are very different now and I can’t see many operators wanting to get involved. In fact I’m very surprised TFGM have organised another operator to run the Altrincham tenders. GNW ran every tendered Journey themselves during the strike last year.
(20/07/2022 19:49)1466 Wrote:  Hence why the strike will be shorter.

I’d love to borrow your crystal ball sometime.
(20/07/2022 10:27)knutstransport Wrote:  It's interesting to know where Go Goodwins have suddenly found drivers from, given they have used driver shortages as an excuse for the 391/392 service being reduced in frequency.

Also I do find it a bit strange that it appears the Macclesfield outstation are providing a full service. Could there be some agreement in place already for it to transfer to another operator?

It may be that goodwins had drivers on term time only contracts willing to do extra work given some schools have broken up already. One of the goodwins family was driving on the 281 as well today.

Regards Macc outstation, obviously time has moved on (and the depot closed at some point)but I remember on a previous strike (2017?) services ran because the drivers there were either not unionised, or a different union.
(20/07/2022 21:44)Mayneway Wrote:  I’d love to borrow your crystal ball sometime.

Yep, Arriva Yorkshire strike started 6th June & was continuous until 2nd July, although services have resumed, the union are still in dispute, as the increased pay offer has been rejected by the members, so Arriva Yorkshire could well be on strike again soon.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
What's making matters worse is that some of the smaller operators have staff shortages, so potentially other services what people may use are either cancelled or just as unreliable.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)