Current time: 18/04/2024, 09:19 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

National Express takeover of Stagecoach
RE: National Express takeover of Stagecoach
(23/09/2021 20:16)Mayneway Wrote:  Again as a driver working in central Manchester I’ll say your wrong. Passengers don’t care on colour, age or anything else they want a bus that turns up when it should, a seat and a cost effective ticket or pass. Everything else is irrelevant.
Someone with disabilities do care about colour just as much as having clear number of services. and my point is they want a bus to turn up at right time on time and get a seat. ask anyone when the strike was on about having a bus of any colour or type. easy when you have good sight. how often is there issues with 2 companies are on same route and people try use other companies tickets.

they don't want usb or wifi they don't want tables they just want to get A to B on time and not miss the bus due to not being the bus they was looking for then a bus is rushing towards you.

I had training about passengers with disabilities the one many drivers dont pick up on is this
someone with learning disabilities or mental issues can get very worked up when a bus goes off route or is not same colour or type as you changed their pre set way of thinking same with someone with poor sight when you have to stop at a new bus stop they need help to get back to their stop. so yes people do like buses the same colour that one of the reason some areas will colour each route but then there issues if other buses are used.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
(24/09/2021 00:52)Mrboo Wrote:  Someone with disabilities do care about colour just as much as having clear number of services. and my point is they want a bus to turn up at right time on time and get a seat. ask anyone when the strike was on about having a bus of any colour or type. easy when you have good sight. how often is there issues with 2 companies are on same route and people try use other companies tickets.

they don't want usb or wifi they don't want tables they just want to get A to B on time and not miss the bus due to not being the bus they was looking for then a bus is rushing towards you.

I had training about passengers with disabilities the one many drivers dont pick up on is this
someone with learning disabilities or mental issues can get very worked up when a bus goes off route or is not same colour or type as you changed their pre set way of thinking same with someone with poor sight when you have to stop at a new bus stop they need help to get back to their stop. so yes people do like buses the same colour that one of the reason some areas will colour each route but then there issues if other buses are used.

Take it from someone who knows. They don’t look at the colour of the bus, the adverts on the bus or even what the company name is. The see a bus coming towards them and jump on - many without checking the destination.
You mention the strike - do you know how many people board GNW buses still trying to use First tickets?? Ill give you a clue, many regular users still assume it’s First. Colour plays very little part. Accessible yes that isn’t affected by colour.
(24/09/2021 01:59)Mayneway Wrote:  You mention the strike - do you know how many people board GNW buses still trying to use First tickets?? Ill give you a clue, many regular users still assume it’s First. Colour plays very little part. Accessible yes that isn’t affected by colour.

As I mentioned on the Buses Elsewhere board in Somerset some of the First Bus services are operated by green buses branded Buses of Somerset, with no First logo. On these First tickets are accepted. The big operators don't always make it easy for passengers to know which their buses are!
Looks like the CMA are to investigate the takeover which as put the merger on hold while the investigation takes place.
A I understand they weren't expecting the merger to go through until the end of the year so it might not slow that down too much, however they had planned to sell megabus and other coach parts off before then which they can't do at the moment until the CMA are happy with the arrangements.

buses7675
http://dartslf.com/

Light up, light up as if you have a choice,
Even if you cannot hear my voice.
I'll be right beside you dear.
(26/01/2022 10:59)motormayhem1 Wrote:  Looks like the CMA are to investigate the takeover which as put the merger on hold while the investigation takes place.

The CMA investigate any merger if they think there may be a loss of competition.

They looked in to Arriva getting the Northern franchise due to them also having the Wales & Borders franchise and it resulting in them operating all services from Chester to Manchester. They decided not to take any action in that case.
The CMA may request some divestment in Coventry. I wonder what they will make of Stagecoach divesting Megabus etc but still being a contractor and benefitting indirectly as a result.
Think that will be a sticking point them being a Contractor also could be issues for city link as there be only them in Scotland with very little NX.

I don't think there be any issues with the buses as many areas only have 1 company doing all the town services.
(29/01/2022 18:20)Mrboo Wrote:  I don't think there be any issues with the buses as many areas only have 1 company doing all the town services.

The CMA tend to focus on takeovers rather than contract awards. If there's 10 council contracts up for tender and Stagecoach win each of them and there's competition for each of the tenders, then the CMA don't seem to mind. However, if Stagecoach are one of two operators in a smallish city like Preston then the CMA do mind if Stagecoach make the competition disappear.

Competition can actually be a disadvantage in smaller towns where frequencies are lower and there isn't integrated ticketing, as it means passengers with day and weekly tickets for one operator may not be able to catch the next service without paying extra.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)