Current time: 24/04/2024, 08:02 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

National Express takeover of Stagecoach
National Express takeover of Stagecoach
It is being reported this morning in various media outlets that National Express is in takeover talks with Stagecoach. Given that there is no overlap in local bus services then i doubt that it is unlikely to meet any opposition from competition authorities although there may be an issue with Megabus and CityLink. They could maybe be taken over by Comfort Delgro. Shouldn’t have much impact in North West England. A few years ago Stagecoach looked at taking over National Express, how times have changed!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: National Express takeover of Stagecoach
It would be interesting in Greater Manchester especially with the Mayor plans for a franchised bus services and National Express Coaches operating in Manchester City Centre.

I have never sampled West Midlands National Express operations so I can't comment to say it will better than Stagecoach at present
Stagecoach Manchester East first in less then 2 years then Stagecoach Manchester South is not safe. Stagecoach Ribble would have to be allowed to tun to Bolton and Wigan. So no matter what happens there big changes for Manchester.

The big thing would be Megabus as it would be sold I would think to Filxbus then stagecoach would move their coaches onto NX network. with the likes of Selwins in Danger of losing work from other Stageocach depots from outside of Manchester they would not be allowed to run NX out of depots for Manchester franchises.
Been reported on BBC site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58636437

I have experiences National Express West Midlands, & they're pretty good, main issues is reliability which is mostly down to traffic, & too many network changes. The fleet has undergone renewal the last few years & platinum range is as good as Stagecoach Gold, minus leather seats, although Platinum range does have next stop announcements.

My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/31135444@N02/
(21/09/2021 17:48)MTL0201 Wrote:  Been reported on BBC site
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58636437

I have experiences National Express West Midlands, & they're pretty good, main issues is reliability which is mostly down to traffic, & too many network changes. The fleet has undergone renewal the last few years & platinum range is as good as Stagecoach Gold, minus leather seats, although Platinum range does have next stop announcements.

National Express I don't feel would touch anything as Stagecoach runs a tight ship with them even offering outsourcing services to others like Stagecoach services / payroll. more like travel west midlands would be run like a Stagecoach unit as it be more simple to move them onto there IT systems and ways of working. most big groups endup with same managers as most jump from one to other or know each other so it hard to think much would change without lots of upset staff. Travel west midlands was a PTE owned company. just like Stagecoach Manchester, they tend to keep their systems and ways of thinking from the days of PTE owner ship. like London most work the same no matter the company with the odd change in system but it all started from same system.
(21/09/2021 17:48)MTL0201 Wrote:  main issues is reliability which is mostly down to traffic, & too many network changes. The fleet has undergone renewal the last few years & platinum range is as good as Stagecoach Gold, minus leather seats, although Platinum range does have next stop announcements.

I would definitely second these points, especially about reliability being low and too many network changes.
There seems to be nowhere near enough recovery time on routes, meaning they can get very behind time easily and end up nothing like what's written on the timetable.
OK if you live on a high-frequency corridor, but not OK if you don't.
Lots of chopping and changing of routes, with different sections of routes getting bolted together and then split again, then merged with other routes etc.
However, over the last few years, the fleet quality has definitely improved, and some much nice branding.
(21/09/2021 18:41)Mrboo Wrote:  National Express I don't feel would touch anything as Stagecoach runs a tight ship with them even offering outsourcing services to others like Stagecoach services / payroll. more like travel west midlands would be run like a Stagecoach unit as it be more simple to move them onto there IT systems and ways of working.

To the average passenger it doesn't matter which computer system the operator uses, or what the name says on the operating licence. The thing they'll notice is how the vehicles are branded.
(22/09/2021 13:16)knutstransport Wrote:  To the average passenger it doesn't matter which computer system the operator uses, or what the name says on the operating licence. The thing they'll notice is how the vehicles are branded.
The average passenger just wants the same colour bus at a set time with no one sitting next to them. and maybe a Controller on route or info office for real customer face 2 face care..
(22/09/2021 15:35)Mrboo Wrote:  The average passenger just wants the same colour bus at a set time with no one sitting next to them. and maybe a Controller on route or info office for real customer face 2 face care..

The commuter doesn't care if the timetable is consistent, they just don't want the timetable to force them to get to work too early or have a long wait for a bus home afterwards. They'd much rather have a bus every 40 minutes at peak times, reducing to every 60 at off-peak times than a consistent hourly service all day. They also want a weekly ticket which is valid on both the most convenient service for getting to work and getting back from work.

The leisure traveller wants a consistent timetable (at least for their return journey) and a return ticket which is valid is on the next bus home, from whenever they finish whatever they are doing.

Ideally the passengers won't need to phone anyone because most of the time buses will run to time and if they don't there's ways of communicating late running and cancellations to passengers e.g. displays at bus stations, messages on their website and social media etc.
(22/09/2021 15:35)Mrboo Wrote:  The average passenger just wants the same colour bus at a set time with no one sitting next to them. and maybe a Controller on route or info office for real customer face 2 face care..

Again as a driver working in central Manchester I’ll say your wrong. Passengers don’t care on colour, age or anything else they want a bus that turns up when it should, a seat and a cost effective ticket or pass. Everything else is irrelevant.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)