Current time: 16/04/2024, 04:00 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Arriva Buses Wales Fleet expiry
Arriva Buses Wales Fleet expiry
Hi everyone,

This is more a speculation post more than anything, but if anyone could bring any fact to this post would be great also. Much of the Welsh fleet, are starting to age I'm sure this could be said about other parts of the country where Arriva operate. A while ago Arriva where looking at Streetlite option for its Bangor and Llandudno outstation operation, this was before the pandemic through a reasonable senior source. Since then the bus industry has changed. So revenue from a commercial perspective has hit the travel industry as to other businesses. Now that much of the fleet especially the cadets are showing there age with many been off the road. Is there a plan to replace in the next few months, year or so.

What do you think will change?

Look forward to reading your comments.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
RE: Arriva Buses Wales Fleet expiry
Personally I believe they’ll all be around for a good while to come yet, I can imagine some being withdrawn maybe when engines/gearboxes go or depending on chassis condition when MOT runs out, but as a whole there’s plenty of spare parts around so I personally can’t see them going anytime soon, however that’s just my opinion.
In terms of my opinion, the DK55 Cadets are going like flies so I reckon they will probably go first, with the 07 Plates and the Best Cadets being the last ones, at least one might hit 20 years of age before withdrawal imo.

To be honest I don't think mine is really an opinion, tbh it's more a prediction.
(21/07/2021 13:53)BenWilks88 Wrote:  In terms of my opinion, the DK55 Cadets are going like flies so I reckon they will probably go first, with the 07 Plates and the Best Cadets being the last ones, at least one might hit 20 years of age before withdrawal imo.

To be honest I don't think mine is really an opinion, tbh it's more a prediction.

Fair point but there were much more DK55s to begin with than there were other batches, so at the age they are it’s inevitable that more would be withdrawn assuming it’s down to a serious defect in most cases.
I've heard rumours of a big streetlite order in the not too distant future to replace some of the older vehicles nationwide. Don't quote me on that though!
(21/07/2021 14:19)W176 XMA Wrote:  Fair point but there were much more DK55s to begin with than there were other batches, so at the age they are it’s inevitable that more would be withdrawn assuming it’s down to a serious defect in most cases.

Yeah and meanwhile in Wales a lot of the DK55 Cadet's are quite good, 2518 for example. Only chance it could be Withdrawn earlier than expected is if it is involved in a serious RTA or RTC.
(21/07/2021 16:42)BenWilks88 Wrote:  Yeah and meanwhile in Wales a lot of the DK55 Cadet's are quite good, 2518 for example. Only chance it could be Withdrawn earlier than expected is if it is involved in a serious RTA or RTC.

A bus can the best one in the fleet but if its MOT expires before an example which is a bit rough around the edges then the better one will be withdrawn first

SK15 GZG
2010 | 2345 | 2474 | 2590 | 3052 | 3059 | 3061 | 5314 | 6408 | 6606 | 7537
4164 | 4593 | 4664 | 4670 | 4672 | 4678 | 4836
(21/07/2021 17:25)SK15 GZG Wrote:  A bus can the best one in the fleet but if its MOT expires before an example which is a bit rough around the edges then the better one will be withdrawn first

Ah, I understand that, anything could happen to any bus, you cannot predict how it will be withdrawn or not.
Might some of the big operators consider pulling out of some of the "financially marginal" areas of their "empires"? Suddenly needing to replace a large batch of ageing buses could be considered not worthwhile.
(21/07/2021 19:02)Bevan Price Wrote:  Might some of the big operators consider pulling out of some of the "financially marginal" areas of their "empires"? Suddenly needing to replace a large batch of ageing buses could be considered not worthwhile.

Ageing buses don't need to be replaced as such especially as many can be converted to euro6 and are actually more reliable than newer stuff... I suppose the only problems come along when you get to tender limits etc

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)