Current time: 26/04/2024, 11:42 Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Hulleys of Baslow
RE: Hulleys of Baslow
(04/09/2021 14:16)iMarkeh Wrote:  Excellent value. God help you though doing it all in a day using only Hulleys and doing so in a reasonable times. The connections are dismal. X1 has 50 minute connections onto the 110/111. Then basically no connection onto either the 172 or 63. 257 has 75 minute connections with the X57. The 271/272 have 50 minute connections.

Hulleys are interworking so much to benefit operations that they have ruined connections between almost all buses.

I think you’re looking at it entirely from the perspective of an enthusiast looking for a jolly.

The 257 connects well with the x57 towards Manchester at ladybower. No regular passenger is going to take it to sheffield to backtrack over the same stretch of a57,
If you were at Sheffield wanting a destination south of yorkshire bridge, you already have a direct service in the 272, 65 or 218.

There’s no point having connections for passenger flows that don’t exist. And tbh I’d be quite happy with a 50 minute connection in ashbourne - the x1 is going to struggle for timekeeping.

The 110/111 are a dcc timetable that other than Covid Times is the same as when yourbus ran it. It’s not something hulleys have altered to suit.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
TfGM have posted the new timetable for the X57 between Sheffield and Manchester Airport. One change that hasn't been reported beforehand is that as well as the re-routing via Hyde bus station, buses will also be stopping at Gorton Tesco as well. Unlike the Hyde re-routing, the stopping in Gorton appears to apply to all journeys on the X57, including the Friday/Saturday night and Sunday journeys.

No sign of a timetable for the X1 between Ashbourne and Manchester on TfGM's website or any mention of the X1 in the X57 timetable. Also, the X1 hasn't been showing in live times on the bustimes.org website.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/nv7y93idf4j...C-0641.pdf
(06/09/2021 16:15)SF07 Wrote:  TfGM have posted the new timetable for the X57 between Sheffield and Manchester Airport. One change that hasn't been reported beforehand is that as well as the re-routing via Hyde bus station, buses will also be stopping at Gorton Tesco as well. Unlike the Hyde re-routing, the stopping in Gorton appears to apply to all journeys on the X57, including the Friday/Saturday night and Sunday journeys.

No sign of a timetable for the X1 between Ashbourne and Manchester on TfGM's website or any mention of the X1 in the X57 timetable. Also, the X1 hasn't been showing in live times on the bustimes.org website.

https://assets.ctfassets.net/nv7y93idf4j...C-0641.pdf
I saw a post somewhere today saying its withdrawn from the 8th, not sure why but it was short lived

For Blog Posts Containing all the latest in the local Bus Scene The 2002 Bus Blog
Subscribe to my Youtube Channel, Updated regularly!
All my Social Media Links here! https://linktr.ee/TerencePrice
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
8 September 2021

X1 Hulley's Ashbourne - Leek - Macclesfield - Manchester: bus service cancelled, registration withdrawn.

https://www.cheshireeast.gov.uk/public_t...anges.aspx
Noticed it wasn't tracking on bus times this morning. Could it be down to driver shortages, Hulleys were advertising for drivers on facebook over the last few days.

Was jcksmnr
(05/09/2021 12:50)djb Wrote:  I think you’re looking at it entirely from the perspective of an enthusiast looking for a jolly.

The 257 connects well with the x57 towards Manchester at ladybower. No regular passenger is going to take it to sheffield to backtrack over the same stretch of a57,
If you were at Sheffield wanting a destination south of yorkshire bridge, you already have a direct service in the 272, 65 or 218.

There’s no point having connections for passenger flows that don’t exist. And tbh I’d be quite happy with a 50 minute connection in ashbourne - the x1 is going to struggle for timekeeping.

The 110/111 are a dcc timetable that other than Covid Times is the same as when yourbus ran it. It’s not something hulleys have altered to suit.
I disagree. I am looking at it from a passengers perspective, any sort of connection between infrequent services is something which should be looked at.

Tell me where I said about the 257? Because I know that is fine. Sheffield south on the 271/272, yes, you could use some other services but they need more tickets which goes against everything which is being said right now in the industry that people are not wanting to keep purchasing multiple tickets. The 271/272 have awful connections with the 257 or X57 and even if you end up making people change at Bamford between services, the connections there can be just as bad.

50 mins in Ashbourne, I am with you if there are delays but as per the Traffic Commissioners documents, you should be accommodating that and if you don't and it proves to be unreliable you could be liable for fines or conditions attached to the licence etc etc. Even if a bus is always late, passengers use the timetables to judge their journey. 30 minutes isn't so bad. Still plenty of time for delays or whatever but it's a lot less time which people will be sitting around if the bus is ontime.

110/111 may be a DCC timetable, never disputed that. You can put in alternative bids and try to get services changed if you can prove that the pros outweigh the cons and minimise disruption. It's how Stagecoach has been doing things for years. Alternatively, other routes could maybe be adjusted accordingly.

Passengers want cheaper bus travel and better connections, it comes up so often that they want better connections to make the onward journeys. This isn't doable on the Hulleys network for many people and I include multiple examples of that. Not everyone wants to travel just on a single route and as for 'accommodating passenger flows that don't exist'. Do you know why they don't exist currently? Because it's impossible to get people onto buses with the current services. 110/111 to Bakewell for example, your options are multi operator travel or 172. The 172 no longer has any connections with the 110/111. It's about linking up main routes with towns and not making people choose between, extortionate fares or the 2 towns at either end of a route.
(06/09/2021 22:43)iMarkeh Wrote:  I disagree. I am looking at it from a passengers perspective, any sort of connection between infrequent services is something which should be looked at.

Tell me where I said about the 257? Because I know that is fine. Sheffield south on the 271/272, yes, you could use some other services but they need more tickets which goes against everything which is being said right now in the industry that people are not wanting to keep purchasing multiple tickets. The 271/272 have awful connections with the 257 or X57 and even if you end up making people change at Bamford between services, the connections there can be just as bad.

50 mins in Ashbourne, I am with you if there are delays but as per the Traffic Commissioners documents, you should be accommodating that and if you don't and it proves to be unreliable you could be liable for fines or conditions attached to the licence etc etc. Even if a bus is always late, passengers use the timetables to judge their journey. 30 minutes isn't so bad. Still plenty of time for delays or whatever but it's a lot less time which people will be sitting around if the bus is ontime.

110/111 may be a DCC timetable, never disputed that. You can put in alternative bids and try to get services changed if you can prove that the pros outweigh the cons and minimise disruption. It's how Stagecoach has been doing things for years. Alternatively, other routes could maybe be adjusted accordingly.

Passengers want cheaper bus travel and better connections, it comes up so often that they want better connections to make the onward journeys. This isn't doable on the Hulleys network for many people and I include multiple examples of that. Not everyone wants to travel just on a single route and as for 'accommodating passenger flows that don't exist'. Do you know why they don't exist currently? Because it's impossible to get people onto buses with the current services. 110/111 to Bakewell for example, your options are multi operator travel or 172. The 172 no longer has any connections with the 110/111. It's about linking up main routes with towns and not making people choose between, extortionate fares or the 2 towns at either end of a route.

From your original post “257 has 75 minute connections with the X57. The 271/272 have 50 minute connections”.
Unless you’re travelling at a very specific time or place, or a Sunday there’s no need to connect with the 272/x57 as the 257 covers the whole route Castleton - Hathersage except Bradwell.

Tbh I think we are not going to agree on this one. The 110/111 is a sparsely populated route between ashbourne and Wirksworth. From wirksworth onwards there are already direct buses to bakewell. Ashbourne itself has direct connections with various towns. And both matlock and ashbourne are bigger than bakewell. If I was in the villages between, apart from Monday’s (market day), I’d be more bothered about a connection to the larger hubs. - derby, Chesterfield, alfreton, maybe leek, than another town.

The 110/111 is timetabled between school runs too. So there’s not much flex.
(06/09/2021 22:43)iMarkeh Wrote:  I disagree. I am looking at it from a passengers perspective, any sort of connection between infrequent services is something which should be looked at.

From your original post “257 has 75 minute connections with the X57. The 271/272 have 50 minute connections”.

Tbh I think we are not going to agree on this one. The 110/111 is a sparsely populated route between ashbourne and Wirksworth. From wirksworth onwards there are already direct buses to bakewell. Ashbourne itself has direct connections with various towns. And both matlock and ashbourne are bigger than bakewell. If I was in the villages between, apart from Monday’s (market day), I’d be more bothered about a connection to the larger hubs. - derby, Chesterfield, alfreton, maybe leek, than another town.

(07/09/2021 11:07)djb Wrote:  From your original post “257 has 75 minute connections with the X57. The 271/272 have 50 minute connections”.

Sorry, I did search back to check my post. I'll take your point on the 257. A lot of people don't like changing buses at random stops though, they prefer proper interchanges.

the 110/111 trips don't even work onto the other operators buses to Bakewell. 110/111 arrives at xx:35. The Trans Peak departs at xx:37 (which as any bus operator will tell you, is not a connection which should be aimed for) and so passengers have to wait for Trent Bartons service at xx:05. 30 minute wait because of poor connections. On the return, same story. Transpeak gets in at the exact same time as the 110/111 leave so no connections.

As for some of your connections. Chesterfield, arrives into Matlock xx:04, departs xx:14. Again, no decent connection. Derby, some connections, at Wirksworth, some not. Alfreton is hard for connections as the services that way are at no set frequency but doesn't seem to be connections.

My point still remains on the dismal 110/111 timetable.
According to Cheshire East the X1 registration has been cancelled.

Edit: Derbyshire CC also say it is cancelled, along with 3 other services due to staff shortages. They are also saying other services will run to a reduced timetable.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)